Friday, December 8, 2017

Cold Oven (or not) Sour Cream Pound Cake -Bundt or Loaf Pan Recipe

I'm a big fan of Cold Oven Pound Cakes. Yep, you put the pan into a cold oven and then set the temperature. Don't know if I believe it gives the batter a little more time to relax and melt into the design of the pan, but the gentler baking does make a nice cake. Another thing I wanted to share is a reminder that you can cut recipes in half and make a loaf cake instead of a big bundt cake. Sometimes we just don't need a big cake and sometimes... Well, sometimes Santa just needs to take center stage:@)

Another great thing about a cold oven cake is, the outside doesn't get too dark.

This is one very nice recipe folks, we really enjoyed every-single-bite!

My fun Twas the Night Before Christmas pan from Williams-Sonoma.
More tips:
  • Try to not over beat the eggs when they are added, we don't want to add too much air to the batter. 
  • I'm going to try coating the pan with butter and flour the next time. We'll see if that helps the design bake more solidly. It has been suggested that the little pock marks may be from the baking spray pooling in the pan. It's worth trying!
  • Don't hesitate to mix things up a bit and add a little more seasonal flare by subbing orange extract for the vanilla in the glaze. I did not use the glaze this time.
  • I did cut the recipe in half for my 6 C loaf pan.
  • The measurements below are for a loaf cake, you can double the recipe or stop by Bloggy Buddy Liz's for the full bundt pan size recipe. Also, Liz baked her cake in a traditionally pre-heated 325 degree oven.
Sour Cream Pound Cake-Loaf Pan Size Recipe-adapted from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
1 stick butter, softened
1 1/2 C sugar-I used 1 C
1/2 C sour cream
1 1/2 C A/P flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
3 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp almond extract

Glaze-optional:
3/4 C powdered sugar, sifted
1/4 tsp vanilla
hot water

  1. Grease and flour loaf size 9x5 pan (or use Baker's Joy), set aside.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar, then mix in the sour cream. 
  3. Sift the baking soda and flour together. Add the sifted flour to the creamed mixture alternating with eggs, beating in each egg one at a time. 
  4. Mix in the vanilla and almond and pour mixture into prepared pan. 
  5. Place in cold oven, set temperature for 325 degrees. Bake for approximately 1 hour 10 minutes (for loaf pan) or until toothpick comes out clean. 
  6. Let cool 10 minutes on rack, then invert and release from pan.
  7. If you'd like to add the glaze (I did not this time), make while cake is cooling in pan. Add water to powdered sugar and vanilla until it's thin enough to brush on and soak into cake a bit. Brush on warm cake.
Remember, Christmas calories don't count and...
Have a happy day:@)

7 comments:

  1. Love the loaf pan! I have never tried cold oven before but with my great wreath pan I think I'll give it a try this year!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lynn, I'm not familiar with 'cold oven' baking! Love that adorable pan, I need more pan storage in my kitchen! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of cold oven baking! Love the halved recipe, all things from the pantry!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  4. No heard of that! I loooove your new pan. I have a snowflake pan that I bet this recipe would be perfect for.
    Happy weekend

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lynn! I just love that loaf pan of yours. It sure makes your pound cake look pretty and yes, you don't have to eat it for days on end! I used my Christmas tree Nordic Ware bundt pan for a Chocolate Pistachio cake for a luncheon the other day. I try to use it at least once during Christmas time, because it really is pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have such fun pans!!! Thanks for trying my recipe---it worked wonderfully starting in a cold oven!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. The crumb looks so moist on your cake, Lynn! I've never tried the cold oven method but need to give it a try soon ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!