Monday, July 20, 2015

Semi-Homemade Wickles Pickles -aka Fire and Ice Pickles

While I make a lot of different pickles this is the first time I've started with a jar of store bought and doctored them up, it was a fun little project that created some very tasty ~and very sweet~ pickles. I've never had Wickles so I can't speak to how close these are in taste, but I can say the garlic flavor was amazing and the little kick of heat in the background was very nice. I don't know if there's such a thing as Party Pickles, but I can see these Homemade Wickles/Fire and Ice Pickles being a lot of fun during football season!
The author says it's very important to find sour pickles and not use kosher dills... 
I noticed that after I bought my pickles, I won't say what ones I picked up:@)
Stop by Deep South Dish for other helpful notes about these pickles.

Semi-Homemade Wickles Pickles/Fire and Ice Pickles-from Deep South Dish
46oz jar whole sour dill pickles, about 6 C sliced 1/2" thick (not kosher dills)
2 1/2 C sugar
4 cloves garlic, minced or thinly sliced
2 tsp pickled jalapeno, or to taste, or sub fresh jalapeno-I just used one whole fresh one
2 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tsp pickling spice
  1. Drain pickles, discard juice, save jar and lid. Slice pickles 1/2" thick.
  2. Begin layering all ingredients in jar. Aim to split things up in four layers.
  3. Let sit on the counter for about an hour. Once the sugar starts to liquify gently shake the jar and turn it upside down a bit to try to get the sugar off the bottom of the jar. 
  4. Let sit on the counter a few more hours or overnight. 
  5. Shake or stir, store in fridge and let marinate for at least two more days (longer is better).
Pucker up and have a happy day:@)

I'm Joining:
Full Plate Thursday
Foodie Friday

9 comments:

  1. We love Wickles Lynn, this recipe would be fun to try :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made a similar recipe, Lynn, and it's one of my DIL's favorites. I never tried the jalapeƱo in it, and that would be a nice touch! My recipe takes about a week of flipping the jar over and all that. Yours sounds much easier and lots quicker!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had Wickles either but these look delicious!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the bit of heat! This is MY kind of pickle making---so easy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We use Wickles on our hamburgers and hot dogs. Will try to make our own. '-)
    Thanks, Lynn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Lynn, you are always in the know! I had never heard of wickles until my daughter bought a jar telling me I just had to taste them and how much she loves them. I am so excited about your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know I love pickles :) I've never had nor heard of Wickles but these sound so much fun to try with the peppers! Yes, they would be great for a football party!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never heard of Wickles.....wow....I will try to find some..or maybe I should just be making some!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!