The author says it's very important to find sour pickles and not use kosher dills...
I noticed that after I bought my pickles, I won't say what ones I picked up:@)
Stop by Deep South Dish for other helpful notes about these pickles.
46oz jar whole sour dill pickles, about 6 C sliced 1/2" thick (not kosher dills)
2 1/2 C sugar
4 cloves garlic, minced or thinly sliced
2 tsp pickled jalapeno, or to taste, or sub fresh jalapeno-I just used one whole fresh one
2 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tsp pickling spice
- Drain pickles, discard juice, save jar and lid. Slice pickles 1/2" thick.
- Begin layering all ingredients in jar. Aim to split things up in four layers.
- Let sit on the counter for about an hour. Once the sugar starts to liquify gently shake the jar and turn it upside down a bit to try to get the sugar off the bottom of the jar.
- Let sit on the counter a few more hours or overnight.
- Shake or stir, store in fridge and let marinate for at least two more days (longer is better).