Saturday, February 15, 2014

Knit Outerwear Vests for Barbie-Down or Faux Fur Styles

Well folks, it looks like winter will be here for a while longer, so let's get comfy... These Knit Barbie Outerwear Vests whip up in no time and I've made a "down" version with worsted weight yarn (the garter stitch kinda reminds me of a puffy Lands End vest) and a "faux fur" (faux wool?) one with crazy yarn from the $1 bin at AC Moore. This is another project a girl can most likely make for herself. They are simply constructed from a square for the back and a long rectangle that wraps around the doll's neck-creating a collar and the front panels, then gets sewn to the sides, leaving a hole for each arm.
Pin It
Now, I will say this crazy fuzzy yarn can be a bit challenging to work with. I prefer knitting with it because it's a little easier to see the stitches when they're on the needles. If I was more comfortable crocheting with it I'd love to try one of my Bear Skin Rugs:@)

And here's an updated version using the fun fuzzy sparkle yarn from Dollar Tree:

I love this project for a few reasons:
  1. They are cute and fashionable and I think they'd appeal to most girls.
  2. Mattel doesn't mass market a lot of outerwear for Barbie.
  3. Different yarns will give you different looks.
  4. It's a perfect little project to help teach your girl to learn to knit.
  5. And you can quickly whip a few up if you're looking for a little extra gift for the holidays. An experienced knitter can probably get one done in about an hour or so. And as you'll see below... The schematic was designed for real people, maybe make one for your girl ~and~ a matching one for her doll.
  6. I'm sure if you prefer to crochet you can figure out how to make one by looking at the schematic below, I haven't tried it yet. Or I have a croche pattern for a poncho here.
The best part about this vest is, the pattern was designed for real women! So if you'll stop by Laylock you can see the beautiful vest she made and get all her tips and instructions. I sincerely thank her for this great schematic that makes this pattern as easy as pie:@)

Knit Outerwear Barbie Vest-Faux Down or Faux Fur-adapted from Coze: Easy Knit Vest Pattern
10MM needles, worsted weight or fuzzy yarn, all garter stitch.
Back: cast on 10, knit stitch until it reaches just under where Barbie's shoulder meets her arm. Approx 14 rows. Bind off.
Sides: cast on 7, knit stitch until it reaches from the bottom of the back, wraps around the back of her neck, and down the other side to the bottom of the back. (Wrap it around her neck like a scarf.) Bind off.
Finish: Sew sides to the back (up approx 1" from bottom of vest) leaving an opening big enough for an arm on each side. Then center the collar and sew it to the back all the way across the top of the square.
Note: If you use a thinner yarn you'll be able to fold the collar down like Laylock did, this thick/fuzzy yarn is too bulky for that.

17 comments:

  1. both are very cool! looks like she's ready to spectate in sochi! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Expecting another 3" here today... I feel like I'm in Sochi:@)

      Delete
  2. Hi Lynn,

    These are so neat! The green vest makes me think of St. Patrick's Day -- it's that perfect, cheerful shade of green. I LOVE the faux fur yarn; I would love to have a scarf made from that. :) My sister crochets scarves, and she's made two for me. I wear them a lot in the winter.

    Thanks for sharing, Lynn! I hope you have a great weekend and are staying warm. My hubby said you all are having record amounts of snow this year. Hang in there for spring, my friend!

    Hugs,

    Denise at Forest Manor

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is soooooooooo cute, Lynn!

    xoxoxox

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynn, those are just adorable, wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are really cute! I can see where that furry yarn would be a challenge to work with! Yikes!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor Barbie was she cold.
    Merle.............

    ReplyDelete
  7. All of the new yarns make the same pattern look so different. I made scarves for my dolls but now they don't need them here in Florida! lol I love what you've made....the smaller the doll, the more the challenge! Happy weekend my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are beautiful. When I am finally finished shoveling all this snow I plan to make some of your great creations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have to have the best dressed Barbies ever! I want one of these vests for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad Barbie has a vest and scarf to keep her warm Lynn! Love that fuzzy yarn :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Barbie looks fashionable as ever and warm and cozy, too. Hopefully, her wintry wardrobe will be able to switch to Spring before too long, Lynn.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have such fun with Barbie. As others have said, perhaps she should be in Sochi cheering for the US team and wowing the crowd with her new winter fashion vests. Actually I've heard that it may be warmer in Sochi than some places in the US.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, seeing as how it IS Fashion Week in NYC, Barbie will fit right in!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think I could even manage that fuzzy boa scarf! How clever!!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  15. When you're done with Barbie's vests, I could use one!!! Brrrrr.....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your Barbie Babe Line is just adorable!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!