Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Multi-Seeded Rolls

Don't ya just hate to have to choose between all of the things you love? Especially when we're talking about bread... So I decided we wouldn't have to! I thought these Multi-Seeded Rolls were a nice idea at this time of year when folks tend to cut back on calories a bit, you can have a bite of all your favorite rolls! This is my go-to quick yeast roll recipe but I divided each roll into thirds and topped them with poppy, sesame and caraway seeds.
Be sure to use something more than butter to help 'glue' the seeds to the roll, either an egg wash (one egg mixed with 1-2 Tblsp water or milk) or a cornstarch wash (blend 1/2 tsp cornstarch with small amount of water to form a paste, then mix in 1/2 C water. Put it in the microwave or boil it until it appears glassy, about 30-60 seconds on high. Note: this can bubble up in the microwave, use a big enough bowl/cup).

Classic Dinner Rolls Using Rapid Rise Yeast-from breadworld.com
2 to 2 1/4 C A/P flour
2 Tblsp sugar
1 envelope (2 1/4 tsp) rapid rise yeast
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 C milk
1/4 C water
2 Tblsp butter
Egg wash or cornstarch wash
poppy/sesame/caraway seeds-optional
  1. Combine 3/4 C flour, sugar, yeast, and salt in large bowl.
  2. Heat milk, water and butter until warm (120 degrees), add to flour mixture and beat at medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.
  3. Add 1/4 C flour, beat 2 minutes at high speed.
  4. Stir in enough remaining flour 1/4 C at a time to make a soft dough. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
  5. Divide dough into 12 equal pieces, cut each piece into thirds, shape into balls and lightly coat the top with one of the washes, dip in seeds and place 3 pieces (seeds up) in each section of a greased cupcake pan. Cover and let rise until double, about 30 minutes.
  6. Bake at 375 degrees for 18-20 minutes or until done. Remove from pan and brush with additional butter if desired.
Have a happy day:@)

17 comments:

  1. Great idea to make them smaller. I hate passing up a good roll, but sometimes I only want a couple of bites and you've solved that problem beautifully Lynn.

    I think of you when I see the weather report and the frigid temperatures. We lived in the Poconos for a couple of years and this southern girl couldn't stand the cold for long, so I made my husband promise me I would never have to be that cold again. Hope you are staying warm and comfortable and that the weather will improve soon.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's 3 degrees with wind chills in the negative teens but the heater is working (a lot) and everything seems ok so far. Thanks for thinking of me:@)

      Delete
  2. The size and the variety are such a great idea, Lynn. It's like a little sampling all in one batch.

    BTW, just saw your comment to the previous comment. I'm about to die,and we are still at least at 15 degrees. *It* says it feels like 5, and I agree. Brrrrrrrrr!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lynn, Your rolls look Yummy!! Looking at the beautiful insides of these rolls makes me hungry! Unfortunately, I really love bread and carbs way too much.

    It's six degrees here in N.C. at the moment; the crazy thing is that the forecast says our high will be 60 on Saturday. Go figure. I'm glad you're staying warm and safe!

    Hugs to You,

    Denise at Forest Manor

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lynn, I forgot to say I really LOVE your cute "Stay Warm" message at the top of your page. :-D

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  5. caraway seeds are my favorite!!!! I need to make this rolls! I'm thinking that this coooooold day will be a great day for some hot soup and homemade rolls. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You smart girl, you....this is a great idea..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never knew about a "cornstarch wash", Lynn. Thank you for explaining how to do it.
    These really appeal to me, as I LOVE the "Everything" bagels with tons of different seed toppings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lynn, oh my, you can make bread and it looks amazing and delicious! Maybe I'll give it a try one day, you've inspired me!
    Nice to see you again, I've been away and glad I'm back~
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea putting different seeds on there!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had to smile at your banner. I did make soup :) These rolls would have been delicious with our soup! Pinning for next time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love homemade bread better than dessert! I need to get me some seeds! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love cloverleaf rolls and yours look perfect, Lynn!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Variety is the spice of love, love the combo on your cute rolls Lynn :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I want one of these right now, Lynn! I can almost smell them baking. xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!