We're having chili today, isn't that a rule or something? Super Bowl Sunday=Chili:@)
So I'm making a recipe from Martha Stewart Living, the April 2010 issue
Corn Bread Bites, they should be made in a mini muffin pan.
Hope you love it if you try it!
Corn Bread Bites
1 C AP flour
1 C cornmeal
1/4 C plus 2 Tblsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 C buttermilk (I added 1 Tblsp vinegar to 1 C milk, let sit for 5 minutes)
1/4 C safflower oil (I used veggie oil)
Flavor Combinations (makes enough for 1 cup or 1/3 of the batter):
Orange-Rosemary - 1/4 tsp grated orange zest, 1/4 tsp finely chopped Rosemary, 1/4 tsp pepper
Jalapeño-Cheddar - 3/4 tsp finely chopped jalapeño, 1/4 C plus 2 Tblsp grated cheddar cheese
Carmaelized Onion-Bacon - 2 Tblsp caramelized onion, 1 1/2 strips cooked bacon, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly butter a 12 cup mini muffin tin or coat with cooking spray.
- Whisk together first 6 ingredients.
- Combine the rest, add to dry, mix until just combined.
- Divide into three batches and add the flavor combinations.
- Fill tins 3/4 full with batter. Bake until the tops are golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean, approx 12 minutes.
- Transfer to wire rack, let cool for 5 minutes, turn out muffins. Repeat until all the batter is used.
- I chose to make this in my 10" cast iron skillet "Big Red"! I let Big Red heat up with the oven, then added about a Tblsp of butter and let that coat the pan. Took about 22 minutes to bake in the skillet.
- I made the Jalapeño-Cheddar version because I thought that would go best with my chili. Increased the measurements for a whole batch. (I think that orange-Rosemary version would be amazing though!)
- You can really smell the cheese as it comes out of the oven.
- This is very good, it's sweet, and the crust is amazing! I would add more jalapeño the next time, but it seems like the perfect amount of cheese. I would make this again:@)http://kitchenbouquet.blogspot.com/2011/02/great-cooking-magazine-challenge.html