This turned out to be a very bold flavorful soup and the cornstarch gives it great body.
I'll be making this again!
Easy Pepper Steak Soup for Two
1/2 lb ground beef or thinly sliced beef
pinch of salt for meat-I used Lawry's Cracked Black Pepper Seasoned Salt
2 tsp vegetable or olive oil-I used olive oil
2 medium/small bell peppers, sliced-mine were about the size of baseballs
1 sweet onion, sliced-baseball size
A little carrot for color-optional
1 large or 2 small garlic cloves, pressed
3/4 tsp ground ginger
1 (15 oz) can beef broth
2 1/2 tsp soy sauce
2 Tblsp water
1 Tblsp cornstarch
black pepper to taste
Cooked rice for serving-plain rice in a perfect world, leftover Mexican rice in my world:@)
- Brown ground beef, remove from pot and pour off grease.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in same pot, add peppers, onion, carrot and cook on medium/high for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to medium, add garlic and ginger. Cook for a minute stirring constantly.
- Add beef broth and soy sauce. Bring to a quick boil, reduce to simmer and cook for about 15 minutes to soften veggies.
- Mix water with cornstarch, add to soup and cook to thicken. It won't be thick like gravy, just have a little body to it.
- Add black pepper to taste and serve with cooked rice.