I did use 1/2 tsp vanilla and 1/2 tsp almond extract and think the almond flavor was very nice!
Danish Almond Cookies-from Savoring Time In The Kitchen
3/4 C butter, softened
3/4 C sugar
*1/4 C finely ground almonds (consistency of sand)-I used a food chopper
1 tsp vanilla or 1/2 tsp vanilla and 1/2 tsp almond extract
1 3/4 C A/P flour
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- Add egg, almonds, extract(s) and flour and mix well.
- **Chill 30 minutes.
- Add to press.
- Press cookies on to parchment lined baking sheets-I didn't use parchment.
- Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes or until golden.
- Cool and enjoy!
- I find this a very flavorful spritz cookie and will be making them again!
- Susan said she used closer to 1/2 C ground almonds. These cookies did flatten out a bit so I'd add more the next time.
- This dough might seem a little dry as you're mixing it, simply knead it with your hands for a bit and it will come together into a nice spritz consistency.
- **I did not chill my dough before pressing it (I think it would have been too thick for the press I'm using). I did put the pressed cookies on the sheet pan in the fridge for 20 minutes before baking.
- My tip: I suggest a small 3 cookie test batch to see how they bake up, checking to see if the oven needs to be hotter or cooler. I'd much rather add 15 minutes of baking time to a project than throw out a sheet of cookies!