Utahna's Engilsh Toffee-from Red Couch Recipes
1 C butter, cut into pieces
1 C sugar
3 Tblsp water
1 C toasted pecans-I use almonds
Chocolate chips-optional-milk chocolate or I use semi-sweet
- Toast nuts, 350 degrees for a maybe 10 minutes, or as soon as you smell them remove them from the oven.
- Place nuts in the bottom of an 8x8 Pyrex pan (I use a silicone liner on a quarter sheet pan).
- Add butter, sugar and water to a medium heavy sauce pan (I use my 10" enameled cast iron skillet).
- Over medium/high heat, stirring constantly, bring mixture to a boil-it will look fluffy and bubbly. Cook until it turns a pretty amber/light caramel color, approximately 7-8 minutes.
- Pour over nuts distributing evenly.
- If adding chocolate let the candy cool for 7 minutes, then sprinkle the top with the chips. Let them sit for a couple minutes to soften, then spread them over the top of the toffee (an offset spatula works well).
- Allow to cool completely-several hours. Break into pieces and enjoy!
- If you're fond of that great toffee with the almonds and almond dust on the top, simply send your nuts through the food processor and pour them onto the melted chocolate (and press them in a bit) instead of adding them to the bottom.
- Joni has some other great tips and advice so please stop by to see what else she has to say about this old time family favorite HERE.
- Note to self: A non-stick skillet works well too and set the timer for 8 minutes and stove dial between 6-7.