The cupcakes are great, if you have more you need to unload let us know". So I, um, "unloaded" them the next day:@)
I consider this a novelty recipe, but one worth trying, especially if you have a couple extra sweet potatoes. They call for a Hershey Kiss to be baked in the center of each cupcake, I've tried that but personally find the chocolate frosting enough.
Tip: After roasting the sweet potatoes (on a tin foil lined dish for easy clean up) let them cool then place in fridge. Once they are cold the skin can literally be pulled off of the potato with your fingers. Works great!
Sweet Potato Cupcakes-from Country Living Magazine, Nov 2011 issue
2 C A/P flour
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 C butter, softened
1 1/4 C sugar
1 pound sweet potatoes, roasted, peeled and mashed
1/4 C milk
1 tsp vanilla
24 chocolate Hershey Kisses, unwrapped-if using
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix first 5 dry ingredients, set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar, add eggs one at a time.
- Add sweet potato, milk and vanilla. Mix until combined.
- Add flour mixture beat until just combined.
- Fill 24 paper lined muffin tins 2/3 full.
- *If adding Kiss: Bake for 5 minutes and remove from oven. Gently press Kisses, tips up, about half way into each cupcake.
- Bake for about 14 minutes more or until tops spring back when touched and chocolate has disappeared.
- *If not adding Kiss: Bake for approx 18-20 minutes or until tops spring back when touched.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes, remove and cool completely on wire rack.
Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting-from Coleens Recipes
1/2 C butter, softened
1/2 C cocoa powder
8 oz cream cheese, room temp
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 C powdered sugar
- Truthfully folks, I just throw it all in a bowl, start out slow, then put the spurs to it! You can click on Coleen's blog to see how it really should be done.
8 oz milk chocolate, chopped
4 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
1 C minus 2 Tblsp butter, softened
1/2 C powdered sugar
- Place chocolates in double boiler over simmering water and stir until melted.
- Remove from heat and cool 15 minutes.
- With electric mixer beat chocolate for 30 seconds.
- Beat in butter 1-2 Tblsp at a time.
- Add sugar, beat until smooth.