l-o-t-s of zucchini.
So, how about a fun way to use some up, Faux Crab Cakes!
Poor Man's Crab Cakes-adapted from Laura Williams' Musings
1 1/2 C shredded zucchini, patted dry
1 C breadcrumbs
2 Tblsp grated onion
2 Tblsp flour
1 Tblsp mayonnaise
1 tsp Old Bay Seasoning-I used 2 tsp
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 tsp dry mustard-optional
1 Tblsp very finely diced red (preferably) or green bell pepper-optional
Oil for frying, maybe 1/4" in pan
1. Combine everything except oil.
2. Heat oil and drop by rounded spoonfuls into oil and fry each side until golden and crispy.
3. Serve with tartar sauce.
- I squeezed some of the liquid out of the squash.
- You can add whatever you like in crab cakes, I added a little diced bell pepper and ground mustard.
- I made a half batch and using a 1 1/4" scoop, it made 12 cakes. Just flatten them out once they're in the frying pan.
- Used my homemade jalapeno relish for the tartar sauce, very nice!
- If you click the link to Laura's blog above she lists a recipe for homemade Old Bay Spice too.
- This is a novelty dish that's fun for when you run out of ideas for the zukes. If you have room in your diet for a fried food and extra zukes to use up I say give it a try. The tartar sauce really makes these good.