Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Italian White Bean and Spinach Soup

Well here it is folks, my new favorite soup! While I do encourage everyone that loves cabbage to try the Rustic Cabbage Soup, this soup... well... this soup has a very robust flavor! I love Rosemary and am surprised at how much I'm enjoying the ground beef in a soup!
 The pic is a little fuzzy because it's 37 degrees this morning (we had a hard frost last night too),
and there's a lot of steam coming off that soup!

Italian White Bean and Spinach Soup-adapted from Sundaynitedinner
2 Tblsp olive oil
1lb ground turkey beef- I use about 3/4 lb of beef
4-5 garlic cloves minced
1 medium onion, diced
1 tsp fresh Rosemary minced, or 1/2 tsp dry
1 tsp fresh thyme diced, or 1/2 tsp dry- I added 2 nice full tsp fresh Rosemary
1 (15 oz) can white beans, such as great northern (my preference) or cannolini, drained and rinsed well
4 C chicken stock
12-14 oz fresh spinach-Cut a 10 oz box of frozen chopped spinach in half, use half, freeze the rest.
S&P to taste
  1. Heat medium pot over medium heat, add olive oil and brown meat with S&P. Break into small pieces and drain fat.
  2. Add garlic and onions and saute, stirring, till onions are soft (about 5-7 minutes).
  3. Add beans, herbs, stock and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer, cover and cook for 5 minutes.
  4. Mix in spinach and heat till cooked, about 5-7 minutes.
  5. You can add some Chicken Better Than Bullion if you think it needs a little flavor boost (you'd think I was on their payroll:@).
  6. Adjust S&P if necessary.
Eat well and have a happy day!

I'm joining:
Full Plate Thursday
Foodie Friday

22 comments:

  1. Oohh, that looks and sounds good!

    I'll be adding this to my collection of soup recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lynn,
    I love Rosemary, too. The recipe sound really tempting.
    Best greetings, Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm adding rosemary to more and more things! This sounds like a super tasty soup!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a delicious soup! Rosemary is growing in abundance at my house...I really need to use it more often!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! I love the garlic in it! It sort of reminds me of escarole and beans that I sometimes add beef to. Have to try this!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUMMY!! We are still in soup mode around here, even in Texas! My hubby loves soups, especially after chemo. This sounds like a great one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE IT! One of my FAVORITE FOODS is SPINACH so this is a winner!
    Thank you Lynn for the yummy recipe.
    Big Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is delicious and so healthy! Warms you right up. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. This a a hearty and healthy soup. We love our beans around my house and always have lots of different canned varieties. White beans are such a creamy and delicious bean.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This contains many of my favorites, beans, rosemary, and spinach. I am growing rosemary on my deck right now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad to get a new recipe. This sounds good and I just copied it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks delicious and sounds like a nice easy recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We love soup here at StoneGable. This wonderful soup will be a big hit! I like that you used beef, I think this soup is hearty enough to stand up to beef's big taste.
    YUMMY! Make sure to share this at OTMM!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  14. It was cooler here last night too, and a bowl of that soup would have hit the spot! Love the rosemary in it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooh, this sounds so good with either turkey or chicken. I just pinned it! Thanks for sharing!
    CAS

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks and sounds delicious!! Wish I had a bowl to warm me up right now!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yummy--I know what I'll make for supper tomorrow night!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love soup and I love spinach so this certainly looks like a winning combination. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Lynn,
    This is a great soup recipe that we would really enjoy. Hope you have a fabulous week end celebration and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday!
    Come Back Soon,
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the rosemary in this soup, and I've recently discovered the joys of frozen spinach for throwing into things like soups. I'm hosting a weekly blog carnival specifically for soups (and other soupy dishes such as stocks/chowders/stews/chilis), every Sunday!

    I would love you to come and post this recipe. Just stop by my blog on Sunday - the link will be up!
    www.easynaturalfood.com

    I hope to see you there:)
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!