Earl says, Blueberry Thumbprint Cookies this winter-Woo Hoo!
Ball has jars of pectin out this year so you can make as few as 2 half pint jars of jam. Turns out one pint of blueberries makes one pint of jam! This is guaranteed to set up and since it only makes a pint, you could just store it in the fridge and omit the processing-even better! This recipe is from Ball.
Blueberry Jam-low sugar version
1 1/3 C crushed berries-approx one dry pint, pick through and discard soft ones, de-stem and wash
1/3 C water
1 Tblsp lemon juice
1 1/2 Tblsp low or no-sugar pectin**
1/2 C sugar, sugar substitute or honey
- Prepare a water bath and sterilize jars per instructions HERE.
- Crush fruit, I just put it in the food processor, you should have about 1 1/3 C.
- Combine fruit, water, lemon juice and pectin in pot.
- Bring to a rolling boil (one that can't be stirred down).
- Add sugar and when it comes back to a rolling boil set timer for one minute.
- Remove from heat and fill jars to within 1/4".
- Add lids and bands, process for 10 minutes. (Or simply cool and place in fridge.)
- Remove from water bath and place on a dry kitchen towel.
- Count the pops and love life!
**This seems like a lot of pectin to me, it will definitely set, but I don't think I need that much even though it's low sugar. I'm leaning towards 2 1/2 tsp next time, any Canners out there have any thoughts?