Cinco de Mayo mode! I saw a recipe from Rocco DiSpirito for Chicken and Cheese Poppers HERE and used it as my starting point.
(6) 3" jalapeños, split lengthwise, seeds and membranes removed (I used a mellon baller)
1/2 C finely shred cooked chicken
1/2 C shred cheddar cheese
1/4 C cream cheese, room temp
1/4 C chives, diced
Fresh ground black pepper
Salt for sprinkling once out of oven
Corona and lime in a frosty glass-totally optional, but highly recommended:@)
- Place cleaned peppers on a baking sheet, cut side up.
- Place under broiler for about 2-3 minutes, just to let them start to cook. Remove from oven and cool.
- Mix chicken, cheddar, cream cheese, chives and black pepper well.
- Stuff the peppers, I used a spoon and pressed the filling in with my fingers.
- Place in preheated 375 degree oven for approximately 25 minutes, until baked through and the top is a nice brown color. Remove from oven.
- Immediately sprinkle with salt. (You don't need a lot, but this really makes a big difference!)
- I have a small counter top convection oven, if after 25 minutes they aren't brown and pretty you may want to brown them under the broiler.
- I'm certainly not going to say this is a diet recipe, but they have to have less calories than breaded and deep fried poppers.
- I love how baking the peppers mellows them out a bit, it reduces the heat and brings out their flavor-YUM!
- 4/28/12-Updated to say, I've also made these pressing a little panko breadcrumbs onto the top, that's very nice too!