Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Brown Sugar Spritz Cookies!

Hey everyone! It's week 2 of my participation in the Christmas Cookie Parties! In my family Spritz are the Christmas Cookie! The great shapes are truly decorations in themselves, and the crispy texture that melts in your mouth is just wonderful!
This recipe calls for brown sugar and lemon peel, so it's a little different. 
I also like that it uses butter instead of shortening.




Side note: My assistant Pudge sat this one out pouting. He wants to know why Spritz have dog and camel shaped cookies but not a pig...
well, I dunno... but I'll get my elves right on that:@)







Brown Sugar Spritz Cookies-from BHG
1 C butter (no substitutions)
1/2 C packed brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 egg
1/2 tsp finely shredded lemon peel
1/2 tsp vanilla
2-2/3 C all purpose flour
Decorations of choice. I used MM's and some did crack. I like to cut up gum drops, they work well.

Directions:
  • Beat butter in mixing bowl with electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add brown sugar and baking  powder and beat well. Add egg, lemon peel and vanilla, beat till combined.
  • Beat in as much flour as you can, stir in any remaining flour by hand. Do not chill dough.
  • Pack dough into cookie press. Force dough through press onto ungreased cookie sheets.
  • Bake at 375 degrees for 9 to 10 minutes or until edges are firm but not brown. Remove cookies to wire rack to cool.
*Tip from BHG: Cool cookies completely. In airtight freezer container arrange cookies in single layer, cover with waxed paper, repeat layers. Freeze up to one month.
Hope you love them if you try them:@)

I'm joining:
International Christmas Cookie Party
12 Weeks of Christmas Cookies
The Holiday Treat Hook-Up
Inspiration Friday

Today I'm grateful that, even though it was dark when I left work last night,
we were treated to the most spectacular sun set!

20 comments:

  1. Please tell Pudge that I agree, what is wrong with a pig shape!!! I love Spritz but haven't made them forever. This sounds great with the brown sugar. Send me a few! I haven't gotten around to Christmas cookies yet, that might send me over the edge and I would have to decorate the house too! I am trying to use some self control and do a little Thanksgiving decor first - not much but a little.

    Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Lynn,

    These are some of my favorite cookies to make. They are so pretty on a loaded cookie platter and I'm going to try them with the brown sugar. That's new to me and a yummy idea!

    You are invited to come for the weekend and watch It's a Wonderful Life with me this weekend! You will love it!!!!!! I've bring you breakfast in bed and tuck you under a big down comforter...we got serious snow yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning
    Yes sugar cookies are wonderful. I love to bake and at Christmas I'm so busy baking for friends and family.
    Thank you so much for your visit to My Cozy Corner. See you soon.
    xo
    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh come on, I know I have seen a pig cookie cutter somewhere. HMMM?? This recipe sounds delicious! Also went back and saw your wonderful SA find. What a deal! Those are going to looks so pretty at your christmas table this year, especially with that translucent shine in candlelight. hint-hint!:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lynn -- I love brown sugar in cookies and Spritz are so darn fun to make. Tell Pudge that there have to be some cookie stamps with a pig on them! Okay, so if you don't go to Lynn's home to watch "It's a Wonderful Life," you can come to ours. Our TV room is very cozy...but you might find us quoting some of the lines because we have seen it so much! Joni

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum. They make me hungry just looking at them. Let the munching begin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lynn, these look delicious and very pretty. We make spritz cookies too. I am copying this recipe. Thanks.
    Hugs, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy!! Spritz cookies are my hubby's favorite of all the Christmas cookies. I always have to borrow my mom's cookie press to make them; I don't have one of my own!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness, I grew up on Spritz cookies and it wouldn't be Christmas without them. Your recipe sounds wonderful. I much prefer butter to shortening. I will have to give this a try...sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello,
    thank you for joining my party. I agree with Mr. Pudge. Cookies should also have pig shape, especially in your house. I guess it wouldn't even be difficult to make spritz in Pudge shape, oh I meant pig shape. LOL
    Your spritz cookies look like doilies. So nice.
    Greetigns, Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lynn, I love these butter cookies, but I struggle with the cookie press and really make a mess. We have a great spot to watch Wonderful Life here, too. Come over and bring cookies. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've had a cookie press for years and have never used it....guess it is time to drag it out.

    I had a feeling Pudge would be a bit temperamental. The swine world just hasn't been the same since Miss Piggy hit it big in the 80s. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh yum, I love spritz but don't think I have ever had brown sugar ones. Thanks so much for linking!! Feel free to link more goodies anytime and thanks for the link back, I appreciate it. Do you use an old fashioned crank press or a new electric one?

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's the cookie press that throws me off, but I love the flavor and try to have my fair share when someones else makes them!!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh thats very nice this recipe, and your pig are very funny.

    Many greetings Anne

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi! This is so timely because I am going to be hosting a cookie exchange at my house and I think these would be perfect! Thanks so much for joining the party again this week and helping to get us in the Holiday spirit! :-)
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the "melt in your mouth" aspect of these cookies! They look so pretty. Also love the added m&m's as the crowning touch:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. To me, spritz is THE Christmas cookie. These sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love how you decorated your cookies. These would dress up any cookie platter.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You post some tasty recipes over here. I must stop by more often but when I do I always find great ideas! Thank You! Anne

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!