Monday, September 16, 2019

Quick Apple Cake from Cake Mix and Apple Pie Filling with Brown Sugar Walnut Topping

This Quick Apple Cake from Boxed Cake Mix and Apple Pie Filling idea has been around forever and there are dozens of ways to make it. I wanted a dessert for Sunday dinner and kept my version simple, a white cake mix, can of apple pie filling and ~a hearty dose~ of warm fall spices. But the real star of this cake is the brown sugar and walnut topping. I'm going to keep this topping in mind while baking going forward, maybe adding a 1/4 cup of oats to it as well. We all liked this cake as is, I'm sure it would be great with ice cream too:@)

Quick Apple Cake
1 box white or yellow cake mix-I used white
15 oz can apple pie filling
1/3 C sour cream
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp vanilla extract

Brown Sugar and Walnut Topping
3/4 C brown sugar
1 Tblsp butter, very soft or melted
1 Tblsp flour
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 C walnuts, rough chopped
  1. Mix items listed for the cake well (I used a spatula), pour into greased and floured 9x13 pan. 
  2. Mix topping ingredients together with fingers. Sprinkle over top of cake.
  3. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
  4. Serve as is or with ice cream.
Enjoy a piece of cake and have a happy day:@)

8 comments:

  1. That's definitely easy enough and it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds very yummy! And I love easy :)
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I have everything to make this cake, Lynn. I’m loving easy these days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds delicious Lynn, especially with the streusel topping! Pass the ice cream please. ;) ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Silly question: Do I add the ingredients listed on the cake mix recipe? Eggs, oil, water?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, nope, just the ingredients listed for the cake:@)

      Delete
  6. Pepper coleslaw is the best. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!