Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Curried Ham and Split Pea Soup -Instant Pot Pressure Cooker or Slow Cooker Recipe

WARNING ~Beep~Beep~Beep~ Ugly Food Alert!!! Turns out folks, I really like curry powder:@) I can't remember ever having it as a kid, but I'm always looking for new (to me) ideas for adding it to different meals. This Curried Ham and Split Pea Soup was a home run! The curry wasn't overpowering, it just added a little 'hum, there's something a tad different here'... I will say I like my pea soup with a little dairy, so I gave the bowl I saved for lunch a nice big splash of Half and Half. One other thing that makes this different than my standard pea soup HERE, it calls for beef broth instead of chicken stock. Don't hesitate to give this a try, I think you'll be pleased if you do.
I made 1/4 of the recipe in my 4 quart electronic pressure cooker, which is plenty for 2 meals.
You can click the link for the original recipe to see a slow cooker version.

Curried Ham & Split Pea Soup-from Taste of Home
2 Tblsp Butter
1 medium onion, chopped-I like to use about 2 Tblsp dried minced onion instead of fresh in pressure cooker
1 bag (16 oz) dried split green peas, sorted through
4 C beef broth
2 C water
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tblsp curry powder
2 C fully cooked, cubed ham
1 C fresh carrots, chunky sliced
1/2 tsp pepper
  1. *Please click HERE for original slow cooker version.
  2. Place butter, onion, peas, broth and water in pressure cooker vessel.
  3. Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes. Use automatic release.
  4. Add everything else and cook for 3 minutes for firmer carrots or 4 minutes for softer carrots (I like 3 minutes). Use automatic release.
  5. Stir well. Serve as is or add a little milk/cream if desired.
Eat well and have a happy day:@)

1 comment:

  1. It looks like you had a nice, comfort soup meal, Lynn. A friend gave me a homemade soup mix as a Christmas gift that had split peas and lentils in it. It was a tasty soup!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!