This is a gorgeous Zucchini Refrigerator Pickle that's colored with lots of healthy turmeric and is ready to eat in a day or so. While it hints of bread and butter pickles, it's not quite that sweet. A fun surprise-you could have knocked me over with a feather when my son actually said "of all the recent pickles, this is my favorite". And it's zucchini... Imagine that:@) Add this one to your list of things to try folks, I think you'll like it!
1/2 C water, room temperature
2 Tblsp + 1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 medium zucchini (approx 1 lb), sliced 1/8" thick
1 small yellow onion, sliced 1/8" thick
3 ice cubes
2 C apple cider vinegar
1 C sugar
1 1/2 tsp ground mustard
1 1/2 tsp mustard seed
3/4 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, optiona-I just gave the jar a couple shakes
- Mix water and kosher salt until salt has dissolved (I did this right in a gallon Ziplock bag).
- Add zukes, onion and ice cubes to bag, mix well. Add cold water to cover veggies (go light on this, you barely need them covered). Let sit at room temperature for one hour.
- While veggies are sitting, mix vinegar, sugar, mustards, turmeric and pepper flakes in small sauce pan. Simmer 3 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat and cool.
- Drain zucchini mixture in colander and remove excess moisture, either use a salad spinner or pat dry.
- Place veggies in jar(s) and add pickling brine to cover veggies. Cover and store in fridge for at least one day before serving. Pickles can be stored in fridge for up to two months.
Let's use up those zucchini and have a happy day:@)