If you're feeding a smaller crowd or don't want a lot of tempting left overs, you might like making an 8" pie.
This one was might tasty and all that's left... are the pictures:@)
One Can Sour Cherry 8" Pie-adapted from Oregon Fruit Products
crust of your choice, homemade, store bought, graham cracker, etc
15oz can sour cherries in water
3 Tblsp cornstarch
1/2 C sugar
1/8 tsp almond extract, optional-I didn't use this
couple shakes of cinnamon-I did use this
shake of ground cloves-ditto
Oatmeal Crumb Topping-from Taste of Home
1/3 C oatmeal-I used Old Fashioned
1/3 C A/P flour
2 Tbslp brown sugar-can cut back to 1 1/2 Tblsp
2 Tblsp sugar-can cut back to 1 1/2 Tblsp
3 Tblsp butter
- Drain liquid from can of cherries into pan, set cherries aside.
- Add cornstarch and sugar to pan, bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Once it's thickened remove pan from heat and gently fold in cherries.
- Pour into prepared 8" pie crust (there will not be enough pie filling for a 9" pie-unless you like real thin pies:@)
- Make Topping: Add everything to bowl, cut in the butter until mixed well (I use my fingers). Sprinkle on top of pie.
- Bake according to the temperature directions for the crust you've used. (For my homemade shortening crust I started at 400 degrees for 15 minutes, then turned it down to 350 for the next 20 minutes.)
- Once out of the oven let it cool for 10 minutes and add seasonal sprinkles to top if desired-I desired:@)
Have a sticky sweet happy day!