Monday, May 30, 2016

A Cherry Patriotic Pie -One Can Sour Cherry 8" Pie with Oatmeal Crumb Topping and Sprinkles

Whew, that may be the longest title I've ever written here at Pig In Mud:@) But I wanted to get it all in. I recently found cans of sour cherries in water marked down to $1.29 and had to get a few. Also wanted to try making an 8" pie using only one can, we were pleased! We're also very fond of these oatmeal crumble type pie toppings and they're perfect for nestling some festive seasonal sprinkles. Who said sprinkles are only for cupcakes?
If you're feeding a smaller crowd or don't want a lot of tempting left overs, you might like making an 8" pie.
This one was might tasty and all that's left... are the pictures:@)
Oh and if you want to make a 9" pie, simply drain a second can of cherries and add them to the thickened sauce. 

One Can Sour Cherry 8" Pie-adapted from Oregon Fruit Products
crust of your choice, homemade, store bought, graham cracker, etc
15oz can sour cherries in water
3 Tblsp cornstarch
1/2 C sugar
1/8 tsp almond extract, optional-I didn't use this
couple shakes of cinnamon-I did use this
shake of ground cloves-ditto

Oatmeal Crumb Topping-from Taste of Home
1/3 C oatmeal-I used Old Fashioned
1/3 C A/P flour
2 Tbslp brown sugar-can cut back to 1 1/2 Tblsp
2 Tblsp sugar-can cut back to 1 1/2 Tblsp
3 Tblsp butter
  1. Drain liquid from can of cherries into pan, set cherries aside. 
  2. Add cornstarch and sugar to pan, bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Once it's thickened remove pan from heat and gently fold in cherries.
  3. Pour into prepared 8" pie crust (there will not be enough pie filling for a 9" pie-unless you like real thin pies:@)
  4. Make Topping: Add everything to bowl, cut in the butter until mixed well (I use my fingers). Sprinkle on top of pie. 
  5. Bake according to the temperature directions for the crust you've used. (For my homemade shortening crust I started at 400 degrees for 15 minutes, then turned it down to 350 for the next 20 minutes.)
  6. Once out of the oven let it cool for 10 minutes and add seasonal sprinkles to top if desired-I desired:@)
Have a sticky sweet happy day!

11 comments:

  1. A wonderful idea with those sprinkles!

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a perfect answer to a small dessert, Lynn. I'm a big fan of crumble toppings and I also just so happen to have one can of sour cherries in the pantry. Happy Memorial Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great deal on the sour cherries! There is a vendor at the farmers market that makes wonderful cherry pies. She uses three types of cherries combined, and one them is the sour cherry. Your dessert must be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Memorial Day! Yum, I want to be at your picnic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. it looks good. i'd skip the sprinkles. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't had a cherry pie in forever, and I love the idea of the oatmeal crumb topping, especially with sprinkles! I hope you had a great MD weekend Lynn!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful holiday weekend pie! Hope it was a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cherry pie is right up at the top of my favorite desserts and this one looks delicious! I'm afraid it might be a single serving size for me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lynn, this looks so delicious. The cherry filling and the crumb topping makes me swoon. This would not last a day in my house.

    Hope you enjoyed your holiday weekend.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun patriotic pie! I'm loving the crumb topping and the sprinkles are so festive!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the idea of your crumb topping on your pie Lynn and everything is better with sprinkles!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!