Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Cornmeal Dinner Rolls using Rapid Rise Yeast

Is light and fluffy cornbread possible? It is if you start with our favorite rapid rise yeast dinner roll recipe and simply sub 1/2 C of cornmeal. One of my crew is not a fan of traditional corn bread and since I was making Chili I decided to try something new, this recipe turned out to be a hit! The rolls still had a little cornmeal bite and taste but were wonderfully soft and squishy... Perfect slathered with butter or honey:@)
Gorgeous color too!

Cornmeal Dinner Rolls Using Rapid Rise Yeast-adapted from breadworld.com
1 1/2 to 1 3/4 C A/P flour
1/2 C cornmeal
2 Tblsp sugar
1 envelope (2 1/4 tsp) rapid rise yeast
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 C milk
1/4 C water
2 Tblsp butter
  1. Combine 3/4 C A/P flour, sugar, yeast, and salt in large bowl.
  2. Heat milk, water and butter until warm (120 degrees), add to flour mixture and beat at medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.
  3. Add 1/4 C A/P flour, beat 2 minutes at high speed.
  4. Mix in cornmeal and enough remaining A/P flour 1/4 C at a time to make a soft dough. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
  5. Divide dough into 12 equal pieces, shape into balls and place in greased 8" round pan (we prefer a 9" pan). Cover and let rise until double, about 30 minutes.
  6. Bake at 375 degrees for 18-20 minutes or until done. Remove from pan and brush with additional butter if desired.
Eat well and have a happy day:@)

11 comments:

  1. How about slathered with butter and honey?!! I will certainly make these.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to try this, Lynn, as much as I LOVE bread, I just don't like cornbread and the guys adore it. Seems like a perfect compromise...I like the slather part too :)
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad the rolls were a hit and a happy compromise for everyone! I love soft, squishy rolls and wish I could grab one from your picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. warm with butter, please!

    laughing at your mummy pie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds delicious, Lynn & I'm going to try to make it with gluten free flour & the cornmeal. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I could eat way too many of these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally making these. It might be a nice change from only having corn bread. I think that they sound fun and easy and look yummy! Can't wait to try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your rolls sound like the perfect compromise Lynn!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll be making these...on chili night we love cornbread but we have one son who is hard core yeast roll lover. This is the perect solution for him.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think this is the recipe I have been searching for forever! I had these rolls once, many years ago, while living in rural Virginia. The combination of cornbread & yeast roll is amazing. I'm trying them tomorrow! Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!