Sunday, May 24, 2015

Creamettes Macaroni Salad

Sometimes real life gets in the way of great bloggy pics and that's a good thing! I mixed up a batch of this Creamettes Macaroni Salad for our BBQ and we all dove right in. The cheese, eggs, peas and dill relish made it very different than our usual version. After we ate I took a quick pic of the little bit leftover so I could share the recipe. In case you're curious, this is how the salad looks after it's been mixed for five hours, yours will be creamier:@)
They say the original recipe is from the 50's and was found on the box of Creamettes Macaroni. Anyone else remember those green boxes? So if you're looking for a hearty old-timey recipe folks don't hesitate to give this one a try. Oh, and the best bite... well that would be one with a little bit of everything!

Creamettes Macaroni Salad-from The Iowa Housewife
8 oz elbow macaroni
1 C frozen green peas, placed in strainer to thaw a bit while pasta cooks
1/2 C celery, diced
1/2 medium onion, diced
4 Tblsp dill pickle relish, drained
2 Tblsp cider vinegar
2 Tblsp salad oil
1 C mayonnaise-I did cut back a bit on this
4 oz cheddar cheese, 1/4" dice-I liked the orange/yellow color
4 eggs, hard boiled and diced
  1. Boil pasta for 8 minutes, pour over peas in strainer, do not rinse or cool. Drain and pour into a big bowl.
  2. Add celery, onion, relish, vinegar and oil, mix well. Place in fridge for at least four hours or up to overnight. I let it cool for about one hour and then put a lid on it.
  3. Before serving, mix well with mayo, fold in cheese and eggs.
Eat well and have a happy day:@)

I'm Joining:
Foodie Friday

12 comments:

  1. I love macaroni salad will keep this recipe. Thanks so much.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think macaroni salad and summer bbq's just go together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good to me, Lynn! :)

    Have a great holiday!

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love macaroni salad!! Have a great Memorial Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Picnics are not complete without macaroni salad- this looks so good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope your Memorial Day is delicious Lynn! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is how I remember my mother's macaroni salad. Yummy!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't had macaroni salad in ages Lynn, it used to be one of my very favorites~ I love the addition of cubed cheddar cheese, everything's bettter with cheese right? Hope you had a wonderful Memorial Day!! by the way, I often take photos of leftovers :)
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do remember :) It's all my mother bought. You've gotta have an oldie but goodie on Memorial Day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that you cut back on mayo. Not a big fan of a smothered in mayo macaroni! I would love for you to share this delicious recipe over at Saturday Dishes Linky Party. Our theme this week is POTLUCK. This macaroni salad is an awesome potluck recipe.
    Here's the link : http://www.abountifullove.com/2015/06/week-in-review-and-saturday-dishes.html
    Hope to see you there! Have a great weekend!

    PS: that bacon pickle ketchup --DELISH

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!