Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Whole Pumpkin Soup-and bloggy mojo...

Recently I was treated to something I never would have dreamed I'd be trying, a Whole Pumpkin Soup. Rachel used the last pumpkin from my son's garden and Alton Brown's Recipe and made a very nice seasonal soup! An added bonus, it has goat cheese melted into it so technically... I can cross goat cheese off of my new foods list too! The soup is adaptable to use what you have on hand, Rachel subbed a little sour cream for the heavy cream and she does recommend adding extra garlic. I did pick up some sweetness and a little tang and found this to be a very nice meal.
The addition of turkey sausage, peas and pasta turned the little bit leftover into a nice lunch too.
Alton's recipe can be found HERE.

And Um, I seem to have lost my Bloggy MoJo... Case in point, this pie that's truly a bad hair day if I ever saw one...
So, until things start working out in the kitchen again-I'll see ya when I see ya:@)

Eat well and have a happy day!

My New Foods List:
(If my sons happen to read this... relax! I still promise fairly "normal" Sunday dinners...)
hominy ~ artichokes ~ fish sauce (I'm scared) ~ leeks ~ almond paste ~ oyster sauce (scared again) ~ gorgonzola ~ dates ~ brisket ~ parsnips ~ adobo ~ meringue powder ~ fennel ~ goat cheese (I'm told to be scared) ~ souffle ~ red velvet anything ~ curry ~ capers ~ chow chow ~ pot stickers ~pho ~ ponzu sauce ~ fondant ~ fire roasted tomatoes ~ Gruyere ~ Quinoa ~ Tetrazzini any kind ~ Divinity ~ Meyer lemon ~ lemon curd ~ shallots ~turkey tenderloin and Chipotle Powder ~ Smoked Turkey Sausage

20 comments:

  1. LOL... I'll bet the pie still tasted great, right??
    Rachel is an adventuresome cook! How great that she cooked the whole pumpkin and made a delicious soup that you enjoyed, Lynn.
    You're never going to lose your bloggy mojo! Hope you have a happy day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it tastes good, that's what counts. Enjoy your time off Lynn.
    sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't stop sharing your amazing ideas with us! Just take a break!
    hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes! That said, the soup looks delicious. And, I challenge you to cross off that fish sauce soon. It's a staple in Thai food which is a favorite of mine.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. The soup sounds delicious and I like the crazy pie! How fun to dig into that! Enjoy a nice break...but not for too long. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The soup looks good, and perhaps that is a s'mores pie...I'm sure it tasted good. You are doing a good job trying new foods, Lynn. Almond paste makes fabulous goodies - try Taste of Home Almond Bars; oh, my, they are SO good! And as for parsnips, try them as roasted root vegetables, or put a roast, parsnips, onions, carrots, and potatoes in a crockpot. They're good. They have a bit of a sweet taste to them. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG, that pie is hilarious! looks like a patch of fungi!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The soup sounds sooo good! I haven't been playing much in the kitchen either.. seems that I can't get away from paint brushes and caulking guns. : ) this afternoon I am making some pineapple upside down cupcakes ( from a box.) Have a great tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope the goat cheese was something you liked, the list is getting shorter! The pie is an abstract work of art ;-D! See you back soon I hope! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't you hate it when a recipe doesn't behave?? Aghhh! I am just getting to the point of actually liking pumpkin, but I don't think I could go through actually making something with it from scratch...I bet the goat cheese does add a delicious element...as for your bloggy mojo, just go make an ornament or a Barbie accessory and it will come right back :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your poor pie...I hope you & your guys ate it anyway?! I happen to LIKE the darkened part of a toasted marshmallow. LOL
    I've had pumpkin soup before & it wasn't anything to write home about. I'll have to try Alton's recipe, just for comparison.
    Bloggy breaks are nice to recharge the ol' batteries. You'll come back refreshed & renewed, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lynn, I've had several disasters in the kitchen recently that make your pie look like a masterpiece! I'm blaming it on the recent full moon and time year with the harsh light at an odd angle (when there IS light), not my poor baking skills! P.S. I prefer my marshmallows charred so that's how I would want them :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha...the pie with the bad hair looks good to me. I like to try new things but we have to be prepared for a stinker recipe. I had three not so good ones in a row so I'm sticking to tried and true recipes for awhile. The soup looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for keeping it real! We all need that now and then too! Before you know it, you'll be whipping up fun Christmas ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Actually, that's exactly how I like my marshmallows toasted :) The soup sounds really good too! What a great use of one of your son's garden pumpkins.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I bet your pie tastes fantastic.despite the "bad hair" - no one in my family would care if it tastes wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lynn, I would eat ANYTHING you make! I bet the pie tasted delicious. xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. I Lynnie! I'm sure this would taste delish coming from you! Thanks for popping in to see me and I hope you're doing well.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. awww, bad times in the kitchen happen to all of us (we should have a linky party of Train Wrecks in the Kitchen) hahaa...
    It, too, will pass.
    xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!