Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Pumpkin, Beef and Black Bean Chili

I loved the idea of trying this savory recipe for Pumpkin Palooza this year, but what really caught my eye was they said you could sub butternut squash for pumpkin if you wanted to... I'm very fond of butternut squash folks, so that's what I used this time. The colors in this Pumpkin, Beef and Black Bean Chili are beautiful! I really felt like I was eating something very healthy. And it would have been even more colorful if I remembered to add the fresh cilantro at the end-ugh...
I like my chili sauce to have a little viscosity to it so I did add extra black beans and mashed some.
This was a nice change from our usual Sunday dinner chili.

Pumpkin (or Butternut Squash), Beef and Black Bean Chili-Country Living Magazine Oct 2014
1 1/4 lbs ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tblsp chili powder
2 Tblsp oregano-that's a lot of oregano folks... I used 1 tsp
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
3 C cubes pumpkin or butternut squash-I aimed for about 1/2" pieces
14.5oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
14.5oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes with juice-I used a can of Rotel and shake of smoked paprika
14oz can of beef broth
S&P to taste
1/3 C chopped fresh cilantro
sliced fresh jalapenos-may I suggest pickled ones:@)
chipotle sour cream
These directions seemed rather involved to me... I just browned up the hamburger, then added the onion for about 5 minutes, then added everything except the beans. I added the beans to heat trough when the squash got soft.
  1. Cook beef in dutch oven until no longer pink. Remove with slotted spoon. 
  2. Cook onion and next 2 ingredients in drippings for 7 minutes.
  3. Stir in chili powder and next 2 ingredients, cook 1 minute and stir in pumpkin and next 5 ingredients.
  4. Bring to boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until pumpkin is tender (I'm guessing they want you to add the beef back at this point...).
  5. Stir in cilantro (I forgot this) and season to taste with S&P. Serve with jalapenos and Chipotle Sour Cream.
Chipotle Sour Cream
Stir together 8oz sour cream, 1 Tblsp minced canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, 2 tsp lime zest and 1 Tblsp lime juice. Season to taste with S&P.

Eat well and have a happy day:@)

I'm Joining:
Full Plate Thursday
Foodie Friday

14 comments:

  1. I've been looking for a new chili recipe to try since it's finally chili weather Lynn and this looks tasty! We prefer butternut squash over pumpkin too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the second recipe for pumpkin chili that I've seen, and I must try this! Apparently the pumpkin adds a little extra something something? I love butternut squash, but not a big pumpkin fan so I think I'll try it your way. I love the tip about using Rotel with paprika instead of fire roasted tomatoes!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sure is a pretty, colorful chili, Lynn. I'd prefer the butternut squash over pumpkin, also, and wish I had a bowl of this for my dinner tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks extremely good - would never ever thought of pumpkin being put in there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a hunger for chili, maybe because the weather is cooler, and I happen to have a butternut squash so this will be on my table this week with it as substitution for the pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i bet it was good. i think i'd prefer squash to pumpkin in it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that does sound good! And oh so healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very colorful and if it has black beans, I know I would love it.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a big fan of butternut squash too so I'm with you on the substitution! Looks delicious and that Chipotle Cream sounds perfect for it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I must try this. Sounds yummy. Perfect weather for a new recipe that makes me think autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds good and healthy, and it looks pretty. Thanks for the fun fall recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds yummy and so perfect for this cool weather!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Lynn,
    Your Pumpkin Beef and Black Bean Chili looks delicious, we will sure have to try this one. Hope you are having a great fall day and thanks so much for sharing this awesome post with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!