Thursday, April 10, 2014

Onion and Herb Soft Fluffy Dinner Rolls

Has it actually been almost a month since I last mentioned how much we love this roll recipe??? Time flies:@) This will be my 5th variation as it's always fun to change up a favorite just a bit and make it into something new. If you're looking for a soft, fluffy roll with big flavor for those lighter soups of spring or Easter dinner, these Herb and Onion Dinner Rolls were a big hit! Oh and, they're on the table in 90 minutes. I thought you might like that too...
Note: To ensure it had time to soften, I measured the minced onion then crushed it a bit with a mortar and pestle. 

Onion and Herb Classic Dinner Rolls Using Rapid Rise Yeast-adapted from breadworld.com
2 to 2 1/4 C A/P flour
2 Tblsp sugar
1 envelope (2 1/4 tsp) rapid rise yeast
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 C milk
1/4 C water
2 Tblsp butter
1 Tblsp plus  tsp dried minced onion
3/4 tsp Italian Seasoning/herbs 
Melted butter or olive oil mixed with a pinch of dried parsley for brushing on top
  1. Combine 3/4 C flour, sugar, yeast, and salt in large bowl.
  2. Heat milk, water and butter until warm (120 degrees), add to flour mixture and beat at medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.
  3. Add 1/4 C flour, onion and herbs, beat 2 minutes at high speed.
  4. Stir in enough remaining flour 1/4 C at a time to make a soft dough. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
  5. Divide dough into 12 equal pieces, shape into balls and place in greased 8" round pan (we prefer a 9" pan). Cover and let rise until double, about 30 minutes.
  6. Brush with butter/olive oil/parsley and bake at 375 degrees for 18-20 minutes or until done. Remove from pan and brush with additional butter if desired.
Eat well and have a happy day:@)

I'm Joining:
Full Plate Thursday
Foodie Friday

10 comments:

  1. The herbs look so pretty on your rolls and I love that they're on the table so quickly.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love soft dinner rolls and even for breakfast this morning, I'd love one of those. I'll bet your boys finish off the whole pan of them in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would rather eat bread than dessert! These look fabulous! Did you save me one? heehee! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yum, Lynn!! Those are the best-looking rolls, whatever version you decide to make!! I could probably eat half the pan warm from the oven. :) Thanks for sharing the recipe and the photo. Have a wonderful day!

    Big Hugs,

    Denise at Forest Manor

    P.S. Thanks for your visit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pinning these immediately! Is there anything better than a good roll? I think not!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, these look gorgeous, I could eat just these rolls alone for dinner. Beautiful pics!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You make it sound so easy! Rolls intimidate me~until they're on my plate of course! Will try
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lynn,
    I just love this recipe, so easy and there is nothing like homemade bread. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday today, it is great to have you at the party. Hope you have a very special week and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look delicious Lynn. I love the combination of herbs :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations Lynn!
    Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. Enjoy your weekend and your new Red Plate.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!