9" double pie crust - optional, you can add 1 tsp grated lemon zest to the crust
3/4 C sugar
3 Tblsp cornstarch
20 oz can crushed pineapple with juice
1 Tblsp lemon juice
Optional for top crust:
2 Tblsp milk
1 Tblsp sugar
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- In medium saucepan combine sugar, cornstarch, pineapple with juice and lemon juice. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened, then allow to boil for 1 minute stirring constantly.
- Put bottom crust into pie plate.
- Cool mixture slightly and pour mixture into bottom crust.
- Add top crust and seal edges. Make a few steam vents.
- Brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar, if using.
- Bake for approx 35 minutes.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.
- This is a hot oven, even for pies, you may want to start checking it around 20 minutes and use a shield for the outer crust if it's getting dark at any point after that.
- Some Allrecipes commenters felt there wasn't enough pie filling... I used a standard Pyrex 9" pie plate and we all thought there was plenty!
- I did not add the zest to my crust or brush the top with milk and add sugar.
- When it comes to pie, it doesn't get much easier, I always have can of pineapple around. A 20 oz can was on sale for 99¢, that's a real fruit pie any time of year for 99¢-Woo Hoo!
Want something pineapple but a little more... creamy? How about Pineapple Cream Cheese Roll.