♥4 Quart Electronic Pressure Cooker♥ really shines, my beans were done in one hour! I'll provide directions for both methods and this recipe is easily cut in half.
Vegan Boston Baked Beans-from Vegan Beans from Around the World
2 C dry navy beans, sorted, rinsed and soaked overnight-I didn't soak mine for the PC
3 Tblsp molasses
2 tsp salt-I used 1 1/4 tsp
1/4 tsp dry mustard
1/2 C ketchup
1/4 C brown sugar
2 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp cider vinegar
1 tsp liquid smoke
1 onion, finely chopped-I used 3 Tblsp dried onion
- Cover beans with water by 1" and cook on medium high until boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer until beans are tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Drain the beans.
- In small pot mix the molasses, salt, pepper, mustard, ketchup, brown sugar, soy sauce, vinegar and liquid smoke and bring to a boil.
- Place beans in an oven safe dish, pour sauce over beans, add fresh water to barely cover the beans.
- Bake in 325 degree preheated oven, covered, until the beans are soft and flavorful. Check throughout cooking to see of they need water, you want a thick sauce surrounding the beans. If they're too dry add a splash of water.
- Place beans and 6 C water in PC, cook on high 16 minutes. Automatically reduce pressure.
- Drain beans reserving 2 1/4 C liquid-add water if necessary to make 2 1/4 C.
- Add beans and liquid to PC.
- Mix everything else well and pour over the beans, do not stir.
- Cook on high for 10 minutes. Automatically reduce pressure. If the beans aren't quite tender enough, cook for an additional minute or two. The beans will thicken upon standing, you could mash some if you need them to thicken quicker.