Thursday, April 3, 2014

Vegan Boston Baked Beans, Plus a Pressure Cooker Option

If you've been around Pig in Mud for a while you know I love beans. I actually eat more beans than meat so I was thrilled to receive a new cookbook for review, Vegan Beans from Around the World. The recipes offer great variety with everything from the exotic (African Peanut Soup) to down home comfort foods like these Boston Baked Beans. Since I had all the ingredients on-hand and kinda needed something for lunch... I headed to the kitchen:@) The author says "after trying these you can't go back to canned"... I have to agree!
As with all cookbooks, I used this one as a starting point with my biggest change being the cooking method. The recipe calls for the beans to be first cooked on the stove top then finished in the oven, total cooking time was approximately five hours. While the house would have smelled great, I had to go to work... This is where my 4 Quart Electronic Pressure Cooker really shines, my beans were done in one hour! I'll provide directions for both methods and this recipe is easily cut in half.
In my search for great homemade baked beans, these are very high on the list folks!

Vegan Boston Baked Beans-from Vegan Beans from Around the World
2 C dry navy beans, sorted, rinsed and soaked overnight-I didn't soak mine for the PC
3 Tblsp molasses
2 tsp salt-I used 1 1/4 tsp
1/4 tsp dry mustard
1/2 C ketchup
1/4 C brown sugar
2 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp cider vinegar
1 tsp liquid smoke
1 onion, finely chopped-I used 3 Tblsp dried onion

Oven Version:
  1. Cover beans with water by 1" and cook on medium high until boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer until beans are tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Drain the beans.
  2. In small pot mix the molasses, salt, pepper, mustard, ketchup, brown sugar, soy sauce, vinegar and liquid smoke and bring to a boil.
  3. Place beans in an oven safe dish, pour sauce over beans, add fresh water to barely cover the beans.
  4. Bake in 325 degree preheated oven, covered, until the beans are soft and flavorful. Check throughout cooking to see of they need water, you want a thick sauce surrounding the beans. If they're too dry add a splash of water.
Pressure Cooker Version:
  1. Place beans and 6 C water in PC, cook on high 16 minutes. Automatically reduce pressure.
  2. Drain beans reserving 2 1/4 C liquid-add water if necessary to make 2 1/4 C.
  3. Add beans and liquid to PC.
  4. Mix everything else well and pour over the beans, do not stir.
  5. Cook on high for 10 minutes. Automatically reduce pressure. If the beans aren't quite tender enough, cook for an additional minute or two. The beans will thicken upon standing, you could mash some if you need them to thicken quicker.
Eat well and have a happy day:@)
While I was graciously provided with a copy of the book, my opinions (and love of beans) are my own.

I'm Joining:
Full Plate Thursday
Foodie Friday

20 comments:

  1. oh, i bet your house smelled wonderful! (i'd have had to leave, too, just to avoid breaking out a loaf of french bread and dipping it into the still-cooking mix!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you flavor up your beans. I am a big bean fan also. I seem to have a perpetual bowl of medium grain rice and one of black beans in my refrigerator. I'd like to try something sweet next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bill would be thrilled to come home to a huge pot of these baked beans! I'd probably add some ham or bacon, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you posted the recipe for these beans. My son's girlfriend is a vegan, and these will be perfect. Hope she likes beans. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how I love Boston baked beans! I wish I had a pressure cooker so I could try the short cut method. I don't have one. (That's probably a good thing since I would probably manage to blow up the house or shoot a bean bullet through the ceiling.) I'm too stupid to know how beans would NOT be vegan. I guess it's the pork part that you put in or something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I mean that you "usually" put in, in that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Southerners love our beans. How cool to have a book devoted to them.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a great recipe, I plan to put this in my pile of to makes. I will be trying this in my crock pot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to learn how to cook more beans as I am a semi vegetarian and need to incorporate more protein into my diet~ I trust you Lynn! I will try this!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I'm a bean lover too and have to try this! Now I want to check out the cookbook, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a big fan of the bean, love this recipe and how you brought flavor to this dish.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love baked beans. For some reason, I have never made them at home. This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look great Lynn! I have a friend that raves about her pressure cooker :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. My mouth is watering just looking at the picture, Lynn. I need to go and buy some beans and get busy. I have all the rest of the ingredients. I'm glad you ranked this recipe with high marks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love using my pressure cooker, this looks like such a flavorful recipe. Thank you so much for sharing your special recipe with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you have a great week and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  16. OK - I just put those beans in the IP and mixed up the rest of the ingredients. I can't wait to taste this - - - it sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What do you mean automaticly reduce pressure is that slow release ? Or quick ?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds tasty! Thanks so much for linking up with me at #AThemedLinkup 13 for Vegan Recipes, open March 15 to 25. All entries shared on social media if share buttons installed.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!