Monday, November 4, 2013

Onion Poppy Seed Dinner Rolls-Using Rapid Rise Yeast

I turned our favorite Classic Dinner Rolls using rapid rise yeast into Onion Poppy Seed Dinner Rolls and they received a big thumbs up! These rolls are exceptionally soft and fluffy, very fragrant and we can't recommend them enough!
 The secret to fast yeast rolls (start to finish in 90 minutes) is rapid rise yeast.
If there are one or two left over... I'm thinking mini ham sandwiches would be amazing!
Actually, I wonder if I use a 9" or 10" pan (instead of 8") if they'd be more like Slider rolls?
Might be worth trying some time:@)
Wanted to mention that a half batch works well in a bread pan too.
If you go to breadworld.com they talk about how to freeze the dough, I haven't tried that yet.

Onion Poppy Seed Dinner Rolls Using Rapid Rise Yeast-adapted from breadworld.com
1 onion, about baseball size, finely chopped
2 tsp olive oil, plus 1 tsp for brushing on rolls later
2 to 2 1/4 C A/P flour
2 Tblsp sugar
1 envelope (2 1/4 tsp) rapid rise yeast
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 C milk
1/4 C water
2 Tblsp butter
1 tsp poppy seeds
  1. Slowly cook onion in 2 tsp olive oil until lightly golden brown, approximately 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
  2. Combine 3/4 C flour, sugar, yeast, and salt in large bowl.
  3. Heat milk, water and butter until warm (120 degrees), add to flour mixture and beat at medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.
  4. Add onion but hold out about 1/4 of it for top, poppy seeds and 1/4 C flour, beat 2 minutes at high speed.
  5. Stir in enough remaining flour 1/4 C at a time to make a soft dough. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
  6. Divide dough into 12 equal pieces, shape into balls and place in greased 8" round pan. 
  7. Brush 1 tsp olive oil on top, sprinkle with remaining onion and maybe a few poppy seeds for looks:@), cover and let rise until double, about 30 minutes.
  8. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes or until done. Remove from pan and serve with butter.
Eat well and have a happy day:@)

I'm Joining:
Full Plate Thursday
Wildly Original Linky Party

16 comments:

  1. Your rolls look wonderful Lynn! I wish I had a couple for a mini ham sandwich for lunch :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those wouldn't last any time in my house!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, what a great variation. I bet just about anything you add to these rolls would be really good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea to use rapid-rise yeast. Your rolls remind me of home. My mother always served rolls (or cornbread) with dinner.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, my mouth is actually watering, looking at those rolls! I haven't had onion rolls in such a long time. Used to like to make my sandwiches with them. These look so yummy and I bet they smell heavenly too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can just see how soft and yummy these are! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. You just kill me with your food photography. Do you know how to make food look fantastic or what. Now this is one way I would definitely eat onions and I can't say that very often.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your rolls look so fluffy and amazing!!! They'd be great on my Thanksgiving table!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look delicious! I love onion rolls, and havent had any in a long time....!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, would I ever love to have one of those delicious looking rolls with my soup tonight! There's nothing like homemade bread or rolls, in my opinion. I have frozen pizza dough, Lynn, but haven't tried other bread doughs. Thanks for the website. Happy evening to you. It's rainy and chilly here in Texas. xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yummalicious looking, Lynn! I think the oniony (is that a word?) flavor would go great with ham & the poppy seeds are just an extra bonus. I could easily do this recipe on the manual setting of my bread machine, just like I did the bread snake & then continue by hand with the shaping of the rolls. I'm saving this one!!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are reading my mind! I am so looking for a recipe like this!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmmmmm..I can almost taste them, they look so good! The Bread World web site sounds like a good resource, Lynn.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Bread World site is wonderful - and these rolls look so delicious. I would like both the onions and the poppyseed.
    Lillian

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Lynn,
    These rolls will have the best flavor, I can almost taste them, yum! Hope you are having a great day and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday!
    Come Back Soon,
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't know how I missed these last month, I can usually smell bread from states away! These look more than fabulous, and yes they would make a great mini sandwich! I am going to check out breadworld.com~
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!