Friday, November 22, 2013

Bourbon (or Brandied) Sweet Potatoes

I really like sweet potatoes but don't eat them often, gotta work on that:@) The original recipe for these Bourbon Sweet Potatoes calls for brandy, I used bourbon, why? Say it with me now... Because that's what I had on hand-right:@) They were a very pleasant treat!
My only suggestion (other than using bourbon) would be to steam instead of boil the sweet potatoes, it's healthier and helps them stay intact. Give it a good stir once out of the oven and as it sits most of the liquid absorbs back into the sweet potatoes. Pictured is a small test batch, the recipe is easily reduced.
 The raisins are yummy little gems...
Don't hesitate to try these folks, they might just become a "must have" for your holiday meals! 

Bourbon (or Brandied) Sweet Potatoes-adapted from recipelion.com
6 medium sized sweet potatoes
1/2 C brown sugar
1/2 C water-I'd reduce this by a couple tablespoons
60 g (approx 4 1/2 Tblsp) butter
1/4 C raisins
1/2 C bourbon or brandy
  1. Wash sweet potatoes, do not peel, cook in boiling water until barely soft (about 15 minutes). I peeled and washed them, cut each potato in half long ways and then into 1/2" chunks. Then placed a steamer over boiling water for 8 minutes).
  2. Drain, cool and peel. Slice into a greased casserole dish.
  3. Bring sugar, water, butter and raisins to a boil. Remove from heat, add bourbon or brandy and pour over sweet potatoes.
  4. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, basting several times with liquid.
Oh my, eat well and have a happy day:@)

I'm Joining:
Kitchen Fun and Crafty Friday
Foodie Friday

11 comments:

  1. These would appeal to me Lynn! Thanks for sharing. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good. Very fit for the fall season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmm....I love sweet potatoes and baking them in this syrup sounds wonderful....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lynn,
    These look yummy. Just might have to give this recipe a try.

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds so yummy, Lynn! I don't have any bourban in the house --good excuse to buy some!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had me at sweet potato Lynn! I'd prefer them with bourbon over brandy :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are making bourbon sweet potatoes [Food network, Guy Fieri recipe] but I am going to keep your recipe handy, just in case, it's much simpler than his! Thank you, gobble gobble!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love sweet potatoes any way....these sure sound good.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!