This is a very nice bread to whip up when I didn't quite plan well enough for Sunday dinner:@)
They suggested the slit in the top, I won't do that next time, it just doesn't look pretty.
Fast White Bread-from SeriousEats
1 C warm water
2 1/4 tsp yeast
1 Tblsp honey
2 C bread flour, divided-I use A/P flour
1 tsp salt
2 Tblsp butter, softened
Egg wash-1 egg beaten with 1 Tblsp water
Sesame seeds-I used poppy this time
- Combine water, yeast, honey and 1 1/2 C flour in mixing bowl, mix, cover and let sit for anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 1/2 hours. It will be very wet and bubbly.
- Sprinkle corn meal on a baking sheet and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Knead in the salt, butter and remaining flour.
- Turn out onto a floured work surface and knead a few times. Form into a log about 12" long and place it seam side down on the sheet pan.
- Cover with plastic and let rise until double, about 20-30 minutes. Don't let the plastic touch the dough.
- Brush with egg wash, sprinkle on seeds, slash the dough down the middle and bake until golden, approximately 30 minutes.
- Let loaf cool completely on a rack before slicing.
I find this to be a very loose, wet, sticky dough... After adding the last 1/2 C of flour I turn it out onto a well floured surface and use my bench scraper to keep turning the dough onto itself incorporating enough extra flour until I can pick the dough up without it totally sticking to may hands. It's still loose, but I can manage to get it into the bread pan. The second rise is very fast, maybe 15 minutes.
Eat well and have a happy day:@)