Monday, July 11, 2011

Open Face Plum/Peach Cake

Hey everyone, Martha would not be happy, but it's still good! This is a great cake that's easy (with ripe fruit) and screams summer! I found it in Martha Stewart Living in 2007 and it's good with plums, peaches, apricots, or nectarines. While it calls for slightly under-ripe fruit, the little rocks I bought were not what she had in mind! I couldn't get them in half to save my life! So I tried to just cut slices.

The recipe will make two 9" round cakes so I usually just make a half batch, bake it in a pie dish and serve it from that. This is one of those cakes that's not too sweet so it's good with morning coffee and not too sweet so it's also good with ice cream at night.

I added the pic from the magazine so you could see how it should look. If the nectarines soften up maybe I'll make another one and take some more pictures. It is tasty and I do recommend you try it:@)
Open-Face Plum Cake-can sub peaches, apricots or nectarines
1 1/2 C A/P flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 C plus 1 Tblsp sugar
1/2 C whole milk-I use 2%
1/4 C vegetable oil
1 large egg
9 or 10 large black plums, halved and pitted (do not peel)
1/4 tsp cinnamon-I leave this out
2 Tblsp cold butter, cut into small pieces, plus more for pans
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees for metal (375 for glass dishes). Butter two 9" round cake pans. 
  2. Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl combine 3/4 C sugar, milk, oil and egg. Fold into flour mixture.
  3. Divide batter evenly between prepared pans and smooth tops. Arrange plums, cut sides up, over batter.
  4. Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar and sprinkle over plums. Dot with butter-I don't do this.
  5. Bake until tops are dark golden, plums are soft and a toothpick inserted into the center of cake comes out clean. 30-35 minutes. Let cool.
  6. Cakes are best the day they're made, leftovers are good for breakfast the next day.

35 comments:

  1. You cracked me up with "the little rocks I bought..."

    And I think yours looks better than the magazine! I would definitely make this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with everyone else. Your cake is much prettier!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynn, this cake looks really delicious and perfect to me. I actually have a sign in my house that says "Martha doesn't live here - and that's a good thing!" 'Cause it is!! Who needs all that pressure of being absolutely perfect? Not me, imperfections can be fun :) xo,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Lord! Plop me down at your table. That thing looks so darn good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry Martha, but I've always heard a cake that don't look perfect has the best taste,I'll have a great big slice.
    Hey we must have the sweet tooth today, I fried up some doughnuts, ALL FOR ME!teehehe.I get hawgish like that sometimes.
    ~Jo
    LazyonLoblolly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your sweet comment on my "Hoagies and Potatoes" post. This looks delicious!! I'm going home to make it tonight, even if it is hot outside, this is worth turning on my oven for. Can't wait to have it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Jo as almost all my cakes need help but yours is lovely Lynn!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow I love how your cake looks with the slices of fruit. Looks yummy as all your recipes do!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how you give the okay to have cake for breakfast : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my, looks delicious! I have to try your recipe!
    -Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is just lovely,,

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks beautifully delicious!! Yours looks much better!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your picture of the peach cake made me swoon! I love a cake that can be eaten with a good cup of coffee. It is beautiful! A little culinary work of art!
    Thanks for bringing this to ON THE MENU MONDAY! Can you hear everyone ooooohing and aaaaahhing?
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think yours is prettier. It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well it looks pretty darn good to me!! I will have to try this with the plums... yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like the way you placed the fruit better than Martha's, very nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. YUMMY! So very European looking and you made it look even better! I found you from Yvonne's linky parteeeee! Now following YOU! Have a great week!

    Love to YOU!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your cake does look better than Martha's!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks so much for this!! Local peaches are in and I've been looking around for something other than a trifle or cobbler. This looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think it's time for Martha to move over... There's a little piggy in line to take her place! Looks superior to Martha's!!

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  21. Another fabulous job! I like your idea of slicing the "little rocks" rather than halving them. I would definitely try this looking at your pics. Move over Martha!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Like everyone else, your cake is prettier.
    I'm not a big plum fan but I know it would be woundrful with peaches.:))

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yep, yours is prettier than Martha's. Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your cake looks fabulous, Lynn! I think it's attractive and it sounds delicious. Great job!
    Hugs, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your cake looks wonderful. I just added your recipe to ones to try this Summer!

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  26. This looks fabulous and easy, Lynn! I pinned it to my Printerest!

    ReplyDelete
  27. They look beautiful and I am sure taste delicious...easy enough for me to try!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Martha has nothing on you. Your cake looks delicious and much nicer than dare I say it, Martha's.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This looks amazing. I would probably sneak a peace for breakfast even.

    I hope you'll stop by and link up with Sweet Tooth Friday this week. http://alli-n-son.com/2011/07/14/dark-chocolate-sea-salt-caramel-ice-cream/

    ReplyDelete
  30. I like your slices better than Martha's halves! Your cake looks really yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!