Leftovers... I do crack myself up:@)
What you need:
My idea of Mise En Place... minus the thyme:
Green Beans and Baby Potatoes (8-10 servings) by Paula Deen
3lbs fresh green beans - I used a big handful.
1/4lb salt pork, diced - I did not use this.
1/4 C bacon grease - I used less than a tablespoon.
2 C chicken broth - I used less than 1 tsp of Chicken Better Than Bouillon and 1/2 C water.
2-3 tsp House Seasoning - I used 1/2 tsp kosher salt, 1/8 tsp both pepper and garlic powder.
12 small potatoes - Mine were about 1".
1 onion cut into slivers - I used about 1/3 C.
1/2 stick butter - I didn't think this was necessary, there's lots of flavor without it.
Ground black pepper - Love it, but didn't need extra.
I'm adding 1 tsp fresh thyme from the garden, if making Paula's recipe I'd add 3-4 tsp.
- Clean beans and cut into 2 or 3 bite size pieces.
- In large cast iron dutch oven brown salt pork in bacon fat for about 10 mins.
- Toss the beans in and stir.
- Add broth and House Seasoning, cover and cook for 30 minutes, or until beans are half done.
- Peel a center strip from each new potato. At the end of 30 minutes add potatoes, onion and more broth if needed.
- Cook tightly covered until potatoes are cooked, approx 30 minutes.
- Add butter, cock lid to evaporate some of the liquid.
What I did, I was hoping the beans wouldn't get too mushy:
- Tossed everything except thyme into the pot, brought to a gentle boil, reduced to a simmer and cooked covered for 25 minutes.
- Gave it a stir, there was still plenty of liquid, so I added about 1 tsp fresh chopped thyme and then cocked the lid so some of the liquid could evaporate. Cooked for an additional 12 minutes.
- My poor over-cooked (but oh so yummy) beans... Next time, I'll cook the potatoes for 15-20 minutes, then add the beans.
- They were just a little salty for me so I'll probably cut back on the House Seasoning and Better Than Bouillon a touch next time.
- I'd add more thyme.
- Over all-This is very tasty and I'll make it again, as a matter of fact I'm looking forward to making it for my sons soon. I like the flavor the bacon fat and chicken broth bring.
- Gardening note: I mentioned previously my bean blooms were purple this year, these seeds are Burpee's Contender. They appear to be a thinner bean than the Blue Lake that I've used in the past. Tasty, but probably more tender and much faster cooking.
Have a happy day:@)