Monday, February 22, 2021

Ham, Frozen Vegetable and Cheese Casserole -Small Batch

I cut this recipe for Ham, Vegetable and Cheese Casserole in half, and that was more than enough for two hearty appetites or three to four smaller servings. You'll notice it doesn't call for any noodles, rice, potatoes or other starchy ingredient (other than flour). I'm guessing this is low carb if you use an alternative thickener? I wanted to make it as is to see how much sauce it made to see if I could add some cooked noodles... There wouldn't be enough as written. So I just suggest serving over noodles or enjoying this nice easy meal (that's great for leftover ham) as is, and pass the bread around:@)

My only change was to crush some crackers for the topping instead of using breadcrumbs and butter.
Oh, and I did add a couple shakes of paprika to the sauce...

Ham, Frozen Vegetable & Cheese Casserole-from Taste of Home
Half Batch recipe:
16oz frozen vegetables-I used California Mix, broccoli, cauliflower and carrots
1 Tblsp butter
1 Tblsp flour
3/4 C milk
1/4 C + 1/8 C shredded cheddar cheese
1/8 C parmesan cheese
3/4-1 C chopped, fully cooked ham-can add more if desired
1/8 tsp black pepper
few shakes paprika if desired
6-8 crushed Ritz crackers for topping-I used whole wheat crackers
  1. Cook veggies per package directions-I suggest trying to keep them al dente and letting them drain on a clean dish towel while making the sauce. (Example: My microwave is 1100 watts, I cooked the steam in bag veggies for 3 minutes. Cut a slit in the top of the bag, and then after a couple minutes scooped them onto the dish towel. I wanted to remove the excess liquid.)
  2. Melt butter in 10" skillet, add flour, stir and cook for a minute.
  3. Add milk, whisk until bubbly and thickened.
  4. Add pepper, paprika if using and cheeses, melt to combine.
  5. Stir in vegetables and meat. 
  6. Pour into sprayed 1-1 1/4 quart casserole. 
  7. Top with crushed crackers.
  8. Bake at 425 for 12-15 minutes.
Eat well and have a happy day:@)

6 comments:

  1. Yum, looks like a great comfort dish and so easy! Thanks for sharing your recipe and have a great week.
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love casseroles, and this sounds yummy, thanks Lynn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delicious! I used to make a similar casserole. I would dice and freeze leftover vegetables from relish trays and use them up with diced ham. I think I might have added some sour cream. I will have to dig this out of my recipe box.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks very good. I will have supper soon and I wish I had this dish to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That’s a pretty and colorful casserole, Lynn!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can't beat a ham casserole! I'd probably put some potatoes in it...just because :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!