Monday, April 22, 2019

Appalachian Cole Slaw -Cabbage, Cucumbers and Tomatoes

I loved this simple, creamy Appalachian Coleslaw so much I made it two weeks in a row! It's different than most in that it doesn't use any vinegar or other acid. Just veggies, mayo and some sugar. I think it looks prettiest with the green left on the cucumber, and of course everything (including me:@) would benefit from a garden tomato... Don't hesitate to give this crunchy salad a try folks.

My suggestions: 
The recipe calls for a lot of onion, you may want to cut back, you know your crowd
I used more mayonnaise, just remember to add more sugar too. I like to estimate my ratio 1:1/2.
This is one of those salads that's best served shortly after mixing, I wouldn't let it marinate longer than an hour. 

Appalachian Cole Slaw-from All Recipes
4 C chopped cabbage
1 tomato, chopped
1/2 large cucumber, chopped
1/2 C onion, chopped
1 Tblsp sugar
1 Tblsp mayonnaise
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
  1. Mix everything well (I held the tomatoes out, mixed everything else, then gently mixed them in). 
  2. Store in refrigerator, best served within an hour. 

13 comments:

  1. Next time we have a gals get together, I bet they would enjoy this. Have a great week Lynn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This salad sounds simple, crunchy, and colorful, Lynn. It must be good to have you fix it two weeks in a row. I hope you had a wonderful Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are eating leftover pork roast tonight and I have all the components for this as a side. Thanks for sharing and the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did make this for dinner tonight. It was a huge success!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM! I must try this recipe. I love salads and especially ones that are simple. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love slaws and this one is definitely a winner!! Now bring on those garden tomatoes!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just made my favorite coleslaw to have with our ham sandwiches a couple of days ago. Love the stuff! I'd definitely be interested in trying this recipe as sometimes the vinegar can be very acidic and this one doesn't use much mayo either! Thanks, Lynn :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't beat a good 'slaw! This looks yummy, pinning for our next get together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks delish and I have added it to my "summer" pile of recipes to try!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lynn, I know we'll like this very much, though I'll have to leave out the onion. I wonder why it's called Appalachian? #HappinessIsHomemade

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds delish Lynn! I'd cut back on the onion too :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!