Sunday, March 6, 2016

Micro Batch of Apple Butter in 2 Quart Crock Pot

On today's episode of Frugal Living-Squeeze that Penny til it Squeals...
I had two large apples that were truly past their prime and, in the interest of trying something new, decided to make a Micro Batch of Apple Butter in my itty-bitty two quart Crock Pot (the Little Dipper would work for this too). This is a fun little project that only makes about 4oz of jam so it doesn't need to be canned, just stored in the fridge. But it does require stirring so it's best to make it when you plan to be home all day.
 Could this be made on the stove top? Absolutely, you just need to keep a closer eye on it.

Micro Batch Apple Butter in 2 Quart  or Little Dipper Crock Pot
2 large apples-I had a Rome and Delicious, they weighed about 12 oz before peeling and coring
1 tsp water
1 tsp lemon juice
1 Tblsp sugar-or more to taste, it's your jam:@)
shake of cinnamon
  1. Peel and core the apples, dice 1/4", add everything to Crock Pot. 
  2. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours stirring every hour or so mashing the apples each time. Every time you lift the lid, try to have the accumulated water drip somewhere other than back into the pot. Some folks place a paper towel under the lid, I just lift it straight up then tip it into a bowl.
  3. Remove lid and cook on high for 1.5 to 2 more hours, stirring more frequently so it doesn't scorch (every 15-20 minutes). Once it's nice and brown and beautifully thick (pastier than applesauce) spoon into jar and allow to cool. 
  4. Store covered in the fridge. 

14 comments:

  1. Oh, boy, I'd love having a little jar of this lovely apple butter in my fridge. This brings back memories of my mom---and breakfast in my childhood kitchen :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a good idea. My husband loves apple butter.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your small batch apple butter sounds delicious and looks beautiful Lynn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for a great small batch mini crock pot recipe Lynn! The only time I ever use mine is when I need a small dip for game watching, I would love to use it more often. This apple butter sounds divine! I also love leisurely days at home, with lots of cooking going on...
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your small batch apple butter looks delicious, Lynn. Small is good and frugal is even better...what a good and yummy use of your past of prime apples!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! I have wanted to get one of these little crockpots since I think they would be so handy. Now, you just proved me right! The apple butter is just lovely looking too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is my next project! I have two mini crockpots that I've only used for dip. Love apple butter without making enough for an army.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm....good! Small batches are perfect here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love making jam in the crock pot, so much better than stirring on the stove. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea! I love some 'past their prime' apples in the frig and this would make a perfect weekend project.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea to do a small batch and it looks so good! Thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you again soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great recipe. I love apple butter with my cottage cheese - just like my grandpa use to enjoy! What a simple recipe. I made pumpkin butter today - so easy too. LOVE these fall recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh WOW, how easy!! Thanks so much for linking up with me at #AThemedLinkup 13 for Vegan Recipes, open March 15 to 25. All entries shared on social media if share buttons installed.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!