Friday, October 4, 2013

Stacked Yo-Yo Pumpkins

There's a new pumpkin in the patch! A couple years ago I made a fun Stuffed Yo-Yo Pumpkin Tutorial, well I just happened to see these Stacked Yo-Yo Pumpkins HERE and had to whip one up!
This is a great project for scrap material and mixing fabrics just makes them more interesting.
Pin It
Basically it's made from circles of fabric: (1) 7", (2) 6", (2) 5", (2) 4" -I used a compass.
My tutorial HERE will show you how to make yo-yo's.
Then just stack 'em up! It's that easy folks:@)
The finished pumpkin is about 3" tall by 3" wide.

The Stacked Pumpkin Tutorial I found is a good one so I'm not going to re-do it, but I did change it up a bit:
  • Instead of using a disk, dowel and spindle, I attached them by sewing up through a button on the bottom, taking the needle through the bottom then scrunched up opening of each yo-yo, and then sewing it back down through the yo-yo's and into the other hole of the button. Tie off and add a little glue to secure the knot. 
  • My stem is a twig from the yard, I did not sew the top yo-yo closed, squeezed some Elmer's glue into the yo-yo, added the stick, then sewed the yo-yo closed around it. 
  • I added just a touch of fiber-fill to the outer edge of each yo-yo. The idea wasn't to make the pumpkin fat, just to keep the yo-yo's from going totally flat.
  • The leaf is an old button from my stash, knew it would come in handy one day:@)
This is a cute project that can be completed in an hour or two and a great craft for older kids. 

29 comments:

  1. You are oh so crafty Lynn! Love that fun shape and the leaf button is the perfect finishing touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely darling! I love the touch you added with a leaf button and stick for a stem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those fabrics are wonderful.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are just adorable, Lynn! What a good crafter you are. It will look really cute at your house this fall!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lynn - I have to tell you that I really love them. really I do. They are just elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE this! I am going to have to give this one a try! Life to the full! Melissa @ DaisyMaeBelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love them in mixed fabrics. This will make a good in front of the tv at night project.
    Thank you for sharing and all the how to's.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All hail the new yo yo pumpkin in the pumpkin patch. It is clever and so different. How fun is this idea? Smile.
    Hugs, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are so darn cute!! Love the yo yo pumpkin for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks cute and you can use all kinds of fabric. I haven't had much luck making pumpkins so far...maybe I should try these! Sweet hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. okay, obviously i have been baking pumpkins left and right and into quick breads and pie and salted sees and whatever...because i read your title as "stack yo' pumpkins" as in "stack yo pumpkins, hide yo childruns".... that is all. :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. A very cute idea and very nice autumn decoration!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lynn, I agree with Mary -- you are one crafty lady! These are so cute for fall! I especially love the fabrics you've used, and I think this might even be something that I could do. :) Thanks for sharing the tutorial, and have a wonderful weekend.

    Hugs,

    Denise at Forest Manor

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are so cute and different! I have been trying my hand at pumpkins lately and they are harder than they look! Great idea with the stacks!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  15. So creative and fun! So artsy and I love them!!

    Big Texas Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  16. Too cute! love your craft pumpkins....very creative :-)

    XO,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an adorable project!! The pumpkins definitely made me smile - thanks for sharing how to make them - easy!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cute, cute, cute. I can imagine all the variation we can make with all the different fabrics out there.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Adorable punkins!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fun little pumpkins! Such a neat idea Lynn - they look great.
    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love these! Very cute and a great way to decorate for the season!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Aww such cute pumpkins! You're always coming up with something clever.

    ReplyDelete
  23. These are great!

    Great to have you be a part of Seasonal Sundays.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  24. Those are SOOO cute Lynn! Thanks so much for sharing them at our Pumpkin Party last week!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  25. These are so cute! I love fabric pumpkins, but I love that this one has so much texture and "puff!" Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love this! I'm looking for Halloween decor that's not scary at all, and this is perfect! I'd love to feature this on my frugal sewing site, Sewistry.com this week, if that's ok!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!