Friday, July 20, 2012

Quick Italian Zucchini and Tomato Soup

Got zucchini??? Here's a soup that from start to finish took about 40 minutes and I have a strong suspicion it will just get more flavorful the longer it sits. So maybe whip it up in the cooler morning hours then just microwave it later. My food processor grated the zuke, feel free to cube it or slice it. 
 I say add a nice crusty bread with butter and it sounds like lunch to me!
What the heck, my bikini days are long over:@)

Quick Italian Zucchini and Tomato Soup
1 C (heaping) diced onion
2 tsp olive oil
2 large or 3 medium cloves garlic, minced
1/4 C green bell pepper, diced
1 stalk celery, sliced
14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes, with liquid-I'd use petite dice if I had them, didn't this time
2 C chicken stock
1 C water-I like my soup thick, you might want to add more water
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
a few shakes of celery seed
up to 2 tsp Chicken Better Than Bullion-optional, to taste
(1) 8"-ish zucchini, grated, diced or sliced-if using a bigger one take the seeds out
14.5 oz can of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed-kidney beans are fine
S&P to taste-it does need salt
  1. Cook onion in olive oil for about 5 minutes.
  2. Add garlic, green pepper and celery. Cook for a couple minutes.
  3. Add tomatoes, stock, water spices and bullion if using. Bring to a quick boil.
  4. Add zucchini and reduce to simmer. Cook for about 15 minutes or until the veggies are tender.
  5. Add beans and heat through.

18 comments:

  1. Pinning! As hot as it is, I still seem to keep having a powerful hankering for soup lately. I made some just for myself last night, in fact. I will be trying this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious way to use up summer zucchini! Looks so good, nice and hearty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 40 minutes? How perfect for a rushed summer day and it seems there's always lots of extra zucchini - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks just great, I need recipes for my Zucchini's thank for sharing ..have a blessed day with love Janice

    ReplyDelete
  5. My zucchini have just started coming on but I have plenty in the freezer. This recipe has given me an idea for some hamburger I need to use in the fridge, thanks.

    Have a wonderful weekend my friend! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love zucchini and tomatoes. I found Better Than Bullion at Costco and have been using it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! Another great recipe for using up all the zucchini. You're too funny about the bikini!! I'll bet Earl would wear a speedo!!!! He'll get elected for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love soup and this looks so good. My friends gave me some zucchini and this would be perfect. Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love a yummy soup year round, Lynn! This looks delicious. My bikini days are also well over, boo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks delicioso...I just made barley tomato soup the other day...full huge pot...and it was gone within the day! Aren't soups the heart of cooking! I'm going to the kitchen right now to whip up another homemade soup...and you've inspired me to use my zucchini from the fridge.


    ciao bella
    creative carmelina

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds wonderful! I love a thick soup, too! Now where are my zucchini donations????

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never thought about grating the "zuke" that's a really good idea. I think I would prefer it that way. Awesome soup! Healthy too.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that is has the cannelloni beans! It is pickle canning time and I need to go find your last post on pickles : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. yummy. the hubby would definitely try this. cannelloni beans i just came into those recently. i've never seen them before ... so tasty now that i have had them. funny how you find things when you open your eyes & take notice. (:

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh wow, this looks good! zucchinis are in today, this is the 3rd post i've seen zucchs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yummy! I wish I could get my kids to eat more soup. So far all they will eat is Split Pea Soup. I'll have to give this one a try. My oldest took his Split Pea Soup to school last year. Kids teased him. He came back with, "Didn't you know it's actually witches skin?" I thought that was pretty creative for Kindergartener to come up with.

    I love zucchini!

    http://theapels.blogspot.com/2012/07/digging-potatoes.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!