If your family's had enough corned beef for now,
how about freezing it and making this soup on a cool, rainy day in April...
Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup
1 medium onion, quartered
3 stalks celery, quartered
3 medium carrots, quartered
3 Tblsp unsalted butter
Heaping 1/4 tsp ground allspice
1lb plum tomatoes, halved
3 C low-sodium beef broth
4 C water
4 C chopped green cabbage (about 1/4 medium head)
1/2lb Yukon gold potatoes, chopped
3/4 C quick cooking barley
1/4lb corned beef, cut into thin strips (leftovers or deli meat)
Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Pulse onion, celery and carrot in food processor until pea size.
- Melt butter over medium heat, add veggies and allspice. Stir till veggies are slightly softened, about 5 minutes.
- Pulse tomatoes in food processor till finely chopped, add to pot.
- Add beef broth, water, cabbage, potatoes, and barley, cover and bring to a boil. Uncover and reduce to simmer until potatoes and barley are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in corned beef and season with S&P.