Thursday, February 24, 2011

Orange Cupcakes

Hey everyone Happy Foodie Friday! I'm also joining Cupcake Sunday this week and I wanted to make something different! I found a recipe somewhere on-line for orange cupcakes and thought I'd make them with cream cheese frosting.
I made a little gumdrop flower for those of us that are wishing for spring:@)
Truthfully, they're ok, not amazing. This recipe only makes 12 cupcakes, I don't understand why it
calls for 3 eggs. That caught my attention right away, but still thought I'd try it. They're very dense. 

In an attempt to lighten them up, I used my cupcake corer and filled them with strawberry rhubarb jam.
Also added orange extract and grated orange zest to the frosting.
The verdict from the office was... very good!
But, if you've ever worked in an office you know that's not a hard crowd to please:@)

I am however, a big fan of these cupcake liners from the Paula Deen line at Michaels-yep my kinda diet!!!
Ok folks, I'll post the recipe in case you'd like to try it.

Orange Cupcakes
1/2 C butter, room temp
2/3 C sugar (do not cut back)
3 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp orange extract
Zest of one orange (optional, I did use it)
1 1/2 C AP flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 C milk

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease cupcake tin or line with paper liners.
2. Put zest and sugar in bowl of mixer and blend till moist and fragrant. Add butter, beat till fluffy. Add eggs one at a time. Add extracts.
3. Mix dry in separate bowl.
4. With mixer on low alternately add flour and milk in three additions, beginning and ending with flour. Scrape down sides of bowls.
5. Fill muffin cups and bake 18-20 minutes.
Makes 12 cupcakes.

24 comments:

  1. Oh yum. I love the flower. I so needed s burst of spring today. The kids are out of school due to snow.. It is so crazy. I need to bake these cupcakes to warm up my day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lynn! Oh, what a cute cupcake! Love your little gumdrop flower! I'd eat that first then dive into the yummy looking icing, then the jam and then the cake stuff! I'm not hard to please either! :)
    Thanks for popping in to see me and be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynn, these look so good. I like the idea of orange cupcakes. It's funny because I posted orange muffins today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynn: I have had partial success with Foodie Friday. Your directions were very clear and I linked with ease. However, I cannot figure out how to put the Foodie Friday "button" on my blog and link back to it. So, right now, I'm not being polite and I want to be.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum!! found my new love for cupcakes here in the States. I think we should introduce them in Holland! :-)

    Thanks
    Leontien

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonnie, send me a quick e-mail so I can respond. Thanks:@)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where were these last year when my theme color was orange and I was looking for recipes?

    They actually look very good, but I'm like you in that I go "huh" at three eggs for a recipe that makes just a dozen.

    Bet they are filling!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love citrus recipes Lynn. I would always use the zest. ♥O

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this cupcake! And I am wishing for spring! and I love Paula Deen cupcake liners! And I am a Lynn as well, and I found you over at Foodie Friday!!! I am loving your blog!!! Thanks for Sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These cupcakes look divine.

    Carolyn/A Southerners Notebook

    ReplyDelete
  11. The cupcakes look good, Lynn....Christine

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those cupcakes look and sound yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These sound amazing!

    I'd love to have you share this recipe with Sweet Tooth Friday! http://alli-n-son.com/2011/02/24/cream-cheese-brownies/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like citrus desserts so I'm inspired by your cupcakes. The little topper is really cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm sorry the cupcake wasn't as fabulous as it does sound, but they are very cute. I am going to have to get one of those cupcake corers, I'm just imagining all of the things I could do with one - marshmallow, cream filling, chocolate ganache, peanut butter.... Did you make that flower? It's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. They sound delish with the addition of your jam & orange extract & zest! Love your little flower :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good morning Lynn, I haven't made cupcakes since my children have grown up. This looks delicious. I love the gum drop flower. In fact, I just love gumdrops in general. Smile

    I posted something for you today.
    Love ya, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'd love to see how you made the gumdrop flower. That was very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lynn,
    Saw your post title and immediately thought, "cupcake corer". I think I am besotted with a utensil I have never seen. Probably with the thought of eating all the cupcake cores....sigh....
    The spring time touches are much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Lynn, that is my kind of diet also. LOL. Just love the yummy look of your cupcakes.
    Greetings, Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your little gun drop flower is so pretty. We got a ton of snow dumped on us this morning. YUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh how cute. I love the gum drop flower. I have found some of the cupcake recipes are very dense. What a great idea to put a filling inside. Thank you so much for joining me for Cupcake Sunday. I have so much fun once a month baking cupcakes.
    xo
    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your orange cupcakes look fabulous! Please share your recipe with our readers by linking up at Muffin Monday. Thanks!
    http://www.talkingdollarsandcents.net/muffin-monday-peanut-butter-muffins

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Lynn, this would be a great contribution to Food on Friday: Muffins & Cupcakes over at Carole's Chatter. Please do bring it over to join in the fun. Cheers

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!