Wednesday, March 29, 2023

Old Fashioned Macaroni & Tomatoes

I am truly drawn to old time, tried and true family recipes. And if it's super easy, and from someone's Grandma, well, that's even better:@) Immediately copied this Old Fashioned Macaroni and Tomatoes recipe and couldn't wait to try it. The original post also calls it Southern Mac & Tomatoes, and it was copied from a cookbook where it was labeled Grandma's Macaroni and Tomatoes. So the idea has been around for a while, and it's versatile. I can see this as an inexpensive kid friendly meal that will feed quite a few people. Also as an easy side dish, maybe with a quick pan fried, or grilled ham steak. Another option, add a handful of green beans to the pasta as it boils. Did I mention it's versatile???
I also love that, much like Grandmom,
canned tomatoes and dry macaroni are pantry ingredients for me:@)
Recipe easily cut in half.

Old Fashioned Macaroni and Tomatoes-from These Old Cookbooks
2 C dry macaroni, cooked and drained
28 oz canned tomatoes with juices, whole or diced
3 Tblsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt -or- S&P to taste
2-3 Tblsp butter
  1. Add tomatoes to large skillet, break up if using whole tomatoes.
  2. Add pasta, sugar and S&P, bring to a simmer.
  3. Add butter, stir-done.
  4. Serve with bread and butter, and maybe a side salad.
Eat well and have a happy day:@)

1 comment:

  1. I made macaroni and tomatoes just a few days ago. I sauteed some onions to go in mine, I used a 14 oz can of tomatoes instead of the bigger can. Then just salt and pepper. We both loved it. Don't know why it had been years since I'd made it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!