Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Creamy Old Fashioned Turnip Salad -Low Carb

Living a low carb lifestyle and missing a nice starchy side salad? This Old Fashioned Turnip Salad ~just might~ help with that craving. Some say it's a nice substitute for potato salad, I'm not sure about that... But I will say it's different and worth a try if you like turnips! They key to enjoying this salad is to cook the turnips until they are just done, don't let them get mushy. Eggs add body, mayo gives that nice creamy/comfort food feeling, and the celery and onion bring a nice little crunch to the party. This is the first time I've ever heard of Turnip Salad, are you familiar with it?
Tip: While I know carrots aren't 100% low carb, I think adding a little grated carrot would make this a prettier salad... 
And don't we all eat with our eyes first:@)
Oh and, since we're trying to mimic potato salad, go ahead and give it a couple shakes of celery seed too.

Old Fashioned Turnip Salad-from Wonderfully Made and Dearly Loved
5 medium turnips
3 eggs, hard boiled, cooled and peeled
1 C celery, chopped
1/2 C onion, chopped
1/2 C dill pickle relish
1/4 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp celery salt
1 Tblsp yellow mustard
black pepper to taste
1/2 C mayonnaise
paprika for garnish-optional
  1. Cook turnips until tender, yet still firm, not mushy. Cool.
  2. Gently mix everything in large bowl. 
  3. Chill and serve.
Try something new and have a happy day:@)

3 comments:

  1. Can you believe I've never had a turnip?? I see how this could be a lo carb potato salad alternative though...I am loving your Mardi Gras piggies!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of this before and would like to try it. I live in the south and we toss the turnips and just eat the cooked greens. I am going to be on the lookout for some with the bulbs still attached.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I've ever eaten a turnip, Lynn!! I'd love to try your tasty sounding salad, though.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!