Add a little pizzaz to the summer holidays!
1 C sugar
1/4 C + 1 Tblsp water
6 C popped popcorn-approx 1/3 C unpopped
liquid food coloring
- Place sugar and water in small pan over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat and keep stirring until it thickens (3-5 minutes)-I suggest setting a timer for 7 minutes once it begins to boil.
- Once thickened remove from heat and add food coloring. Stir well and immediately pour over popcorn.
- Carefully (it's very hot) stir to cover all of the popcorn.
- Pour onto wax paper, parchment or silicone liners and allow to cool.
- I pop the popcorn right onto a silicone lined baking sheet. The popcorn lies flat and it's easier to drizzle the syrup over more that way.
- Since I was only making one batch I poured half of the hot syrup into a measuring cup to make red and blue. I used 6 drops of each color and would use more coloring next time.
- You'll need to work quickly, but carefully as melted sugar is extremely hot. How well you get the corn coated is only limited by your patience to keep stirring it:@)
- I think seasoned candy makers will notice that the liquid food coloring does make the coating a little grainy, it just won't be smooth and glossy.
- Might not want to make this on a humid day without air conditioning-just sayin'... I put it in a slightly warm oven to dry and set-up.