They taste great and I think this is such a cute and simple way to decorate them.
Sunny, lemon flavored cookies.
Lemon-Butter Spritz Cookies2 C butter, softened
1 1/4 C sugar
Grated peel of one lemon
2 tsp lemon juice*
1 tsp vanilla
5 1/4 C flour
1/4 tsp salt
Colored sugar or other decorations
- Cream butter, sugar and zest till fluffy. Add eggs, juice and vanilla, mix well.
- Combine flour and salt and gradually add to wet, mix well.
- Load cookie press. Press dough 1" apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Decorate with sugar etc.
- Bake 400 degrees* for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned around edges. Yield: About 12 dozen.
- I used the flower (ring) plate and put a little bit of dough in the open center of each flower so the decorations wouldn't fall through.
- Added a little yellow food coloring paste too.
- *I suggest exchanging the lemon juice for 1-2 tsp lemon extract for a bigger lemon flavor.
- Even though the reviews for this cookie are very good, I was concerned that 400 degrees was too hot, so I opted for 375 for 10 minutes and they turned out fine.
- The leaves are just a rolled out gum drop and shaped by hand.